Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

SteveG 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Purchased 5 Paradise Nationals this season for easy transportation to Heather etc. Suggestions of best way to leave the hive ready to add fondant later without removing inner cover? Thanks

Last edited:

Erichalfbee 

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Purchased 5 Paradise Nationals this season for easy transportation to Heather etc. Suggestions of best way to leave the hive ready to add fondant later without removing inner cover? Thanks
50mm Kingspan with a cut out over feeder hole.

SteveG 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
50mm Kingspan with a cut out over feeder hole.
sadly there is no feeder hole in the inner hive cover, when you place fondant on the cover the weight would press down on the frames. I'm sure theres a way, I've emailed modern beekeeping where I purchased the hives. the problem with adding a wooden crown board in my head is the possible draft between the poly super, wood crown board and poly roof.

Arfermo 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Enough
sadly there is no feeder hole in the inner hive cover, when you place fondant on the cover the weight would press down on the frames. I'm sure theres a way, I've emailed modern beekeeping where I purchased the hives. the problem with adding a wooden crown board in my head is the possible draft between the poly super, wood crown board and poly roof.
Make a feeder hole?

SteveG 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Make a feeder hole?
agree, still have the problem with weight on inner cover pressing down on frames. guess i could place wood supports around the hole on inner cover and frames to prevent this.

Arfermo 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Enough
That suggests the inner is too flimsy. Make a better one? My very aged pal didn't bother with any ekes or whatever but just pressed half packs of Apifonda onto the top of the frames where the cluster is and put the CB & lid back on. Nothing more - and he had kept bees for 70 odd years! When last seen he had 4 apiries and 50 or so hives and sells his honey in London. Clever guy educated at Eton and with a maths degree from Oxford. I didn't even get through my 11 plus.

Mint Bee 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
remove plastic sheet that is the crown board, add std wooden crown board, place fondant over holes. Add eke (and optional insulation), replace roof and strap down in current weather conditions. Its what I am currently doing on a couple of these hives I bought at last years auctions to try out.

Amari 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
That suggests the inner is too flimsy. Make a better one?
Steve, there is a place local to us which will cut to size Perspex or polycarbonate of different thicknesses eg 4mm.

Mellifera Crofter 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
agree, still have the problem with weight on inner cover pressing down on frames. guess i could place wood supports around the hole on inner cover and frames to prevent this.
Quite a few of my colonies have flexible plastic crown boards like the ones used with Paradise Bee Boxes into which I've drilled one or two feeder holes. I support rapid feeders or fondant tubs by placing a couple of sticks (usually an old bottom bracket cut into a few pieces) on top of the frames, and under the crown board.

Latest posts