Paper re allergy and immunotherapy

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 to 12!
https://www.frontiersin.org/article...immunotherapy,and IgA type bloking antibodies.

Here's an interesting extract.

SR is systemic reaction.

Beekeepers are a vulnerable and high risk population for the development of allergic reactions to honeybee stings. In this specific group, the SR rates are higher than the general population and range from 14 to 38% (25). Receiving more than 200 stings per year is nearly totally protective from a SR whereas receiving fewer than 25 stings per year is related to a SR rate of 45% (25). In a British beekeeper survey, risk factors for SR were found to be female gender, positive family history of bee venom allergy, premedication with antihistamines before hive attendance and 2 or more years of beekeeping before the first SR (26).

I think I prefer the idea of 4 stings a week through the year, or 8 a week during the season...

I apparently need to be stung more. Only on about 10 so far this year at most. :(

This forum messes with one's head.

After opening the hive from hell yesterday without gloves I've made progress towards that target!
Was a bit feisty before I made them queenless. Hopefully with a new queen they will settle down.

Could it just be that the people who get stung 200+ times a year wouldn't react anyway and the almost no chance of systemic reaction is because the others died before they got to 200 stings a year?

An endocrinologist I spoke to years ago suggested that the biggest risk of major reactions is probably after a prolonged period away from the bees. On that basis deliberately getting a couple of stings over winter would be logical.

So best not to take antihistamines before inspecting?
Also best not to be female?

maybe its cause beekeepers (and them families?) exposed in venom and other hive's odor from clothes/suit/gloves/tools/car.... smell it for long period without got stung ?

I'm surprised more than one member knows what a Gom Jabbar is, or is that as a result of the success of the recent movie :unsure:.

I'm surprised more than one member knows what a Gom Jabbar is, or is that as a result of the success of the recent movie :unsure:.
Read many years ago. Sadly though the movie is excellent it doesn't live up to what the book leaves in your head

Exactly my thoughts.
Original movie was nearer to the book I feel, new movie is just a special effects showcase and the start of a franchise.
I'm currently listening to the book on audible, as well as Alien, I swap between a few.

First read the (first three) books in my mid-teens and have re-read them occasionally, but since our last house move I've been unable to find the second and third books and whilst I'd be happy to replace them the reviews of the more recent print runs aren't exactly impressive.

I think both films have their positive and negative points, but I've always considered it a very difficult story to tell well on film. My son, who started the first book before watching the film and continued to read it afterwards feels similarly I believe.

James

I did a quick calculation regarding stings. I only tend to use a jacket and nitrile gloves and I have quite a few iffy colonies so I reckon I get stung on average 5 times a day for the 4 days I do the bees. Say I only do it for 6 months a year so 20 stings/week x 26 weeks so approx 500 stings/year. ...... do we thing that's a good or bad thing..... btw I get very little reaction to stings.

Latest posts

Back