Paper method

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Compostcritter

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi
Can someone let me know how long it takes to chew through overlapping newspaper when combining? I have never attempted this before, so did not want to disturb until they are combined. I have located some grass in the entrance yesterday morning, a few bees have managed to chew through. Thanks in advance for your wisdom.

Yes as with PH they will be through the paper in a short time but don’t think about opening the hive until a week has passed min to give them a chance to settle down.

Thanks both. Was hoping that they would not chew through the grass for three days as advised by PH. But do far so good, early days though :)

24 hours or less.

PH
Once the unite is well under way, they will remove most of the paper from the hive.
You will see wood pulp appearing around the entrance, so no need to disturb them in the short term.

If you used newspaper like the sun they won't bother reading it and chew threw it in a day :D

Used the Daily Mail ( given, not mine honestly) ! Next question I am merging a national 3 frames of brood queen right with a 14 x 12 -queen. What's the best way of removing the standard brood from the top to the 14 x 12 without causing to much havoc . Cheers jacqui

national 3 frames of brood queen right with a 14 x 12 -queen.

Three weeks with the queen downstairs in the 14 x 12, with a Q/E above will do the trick.

If you want the stores, put the box below the 14 x 12 (with queen in) with Q/E above (as long as drones have been kicked out) and they will move up any stores.

If you used newspaper like the sun they won't bother reading it and chew threw it in a day :D

And if you use the Daily Mail, you run the risk of producing very angry bees.

Latest posts

Back