Panting poly hives

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll take that as a "you don't have clue" either.

All I know is what I said in an earlier post ... a couple of Paynes (previously unused and unpainted) boxes that had been stored outside had a surface that was no longer smooth like the new ones - I'd describe it as friable .. a sort of dusty, much lighter coloured, surface. No apparent serious structural deterioration it was just as though some of the material bonding the stuff together had become porous at the surface.

What I don't know is how long they had been outside and the person they came from, sadly, is no longer with us so I can't ask the question.

I gave them a coat of paint and they have been perfectly OK ever since. What it did, though, is taught me that poly hives/supers definitely need a coat or two of paint if they are going outside.

Does anyone know how long it takes UV to degrade an unpainted poly hive? I've seen some quite old unpainted ones that looked fine. On the keep it simple....what could be simpler than not painting.....?

Our original trial batch of poly hives was set up in 1997 as an experiment to prove the concept to myself before going in big.

All were unpainted and all are still in service today...bit shabby but at the rate they are deteriorating they might be in a bad way quite soon....like in another 20 years. Look crap but astill work great...have probably lost under 1mm form the surface..and the worst thing for roughing the surface are slugs and snails. Unpainted you get a thin coat of algae on the outside, which these rough tongued delights come and graze.

The roofs got a bit rough more quickly though.....would never advise leaving the roofs unpainted.

Our original trial batch of poly hives was set up in 1997 as an experiment to prove the concept to myself before going in big.

Thanks for that...sounds like 40 years or so....Shall experiment myself with any new nuc's I buy. Although if they last that long unpainted I doubt I shall be around to see the end of the experiment.

Latest posts

Back