Painting the inside of a poly hive?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firegazer

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Just a quickie.

I've just taken delivery of a poly Lang from Swienty (seems very good - just the thing for colony 2 to overwinter in).

I've got to paint it up to prevent UV degrading it - were we to get any sunlight here of course - and I've been recommended NOT to paint the mating surfaces (they shouldn't see daylight anyway).

Question is: should I paint the insides? It might be better from a later cleaning point of view; it could be bad from a 'paint isn't a foodstuff' point of view. Is there a consensus view on this? I'd rather get it right: it's a real chore trying to steam and scrape paint off walls whilst the bees are in it ;-)

Cheers for any advice.

FG

Never have. Can't see any point to be honest. None of the vendors that I know of advise it.

Enough?

PH

The inside of a hive remains in the dark 99% of the time. UV isn't a problem so no painting needed. I'm sure it would come off anyway with scraping etc. and also the (small?) risk of fumes affecting bees. You may have gathered I don't paint the insides of mine.

Latest posts

Back