Painting poly hives the easy way

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
I got fed up of using a brush and all options on spraying seemed expensive but I tried with a spare schultz gun that we had and it worked like a dream.

I just need to turn them over and they are done.

And as an added bonous you get you floor paninted at the same time:biggrinjester:

PS nice thinking and job

I've just done some using a Clarke spraying outfit from Machine Mart - it wasn't expensive and if you thin the masonry paint by 25% - 30% it sprays easily. I did it outside on a plastic sheet on the lawn. If you spray indoors the bounce-back goes everywhere.

For the feeders a very recent tip I've heard is to sprinkle salt on the outside of the dam wall after the last coat. When the paint is dry fill the feeder with water to dissolve the salt leaving a nice rough surface for the bees to climb down.

Looks like a good job tidymeup.
I`ve just been painting my poly nuc.
I could have done with a tiny paintbrush to get into the roof detail.

Darren.

The floor was a mistake but I just turned the power cleaner on it and it came right off.

I was going to use some sand and paint mixed to create a rough surface on the feeder entrance.

As the gun I used applied it quite think I don't think I will need a second coat and I was able to do three feeder in a matter of minutes. I will do the rest later and a nuc box.

Six supers painted and built and I guess it tool no more then three hours.

The white balance is a little off with the lights indoors.

who makes the 'bee box' poly kit?

I was going to start a new thread but may as well add to this.

Can I use one of those pump up fence spraying thingys.

As I don't have a compressor etc.

Do I have to use watered down masonry paint or can I use the fence paint? (designed for the pump)

(I'm getting fed up with hand brushing my still large quanitity of unpainted polys).

Yep, sprayed mine using masonry paint through a mains powered fence sprayer, works a treat. The only downside is you use more paint this way, but it is a lot quicker and you get a better finish.:)

Sorry, just noticed you said 'pump up thingy' dunno.

Do as they do in the boat building industry, while the paint is still sticky, sprinkle sugar over it.
Then when it has dried, wash with hot water, it leaves lots of small dimples and you have a non-slip surface!!!
It works for humans, i'm sure it could work for bees...

Yep, sprayed mine using masonry paint through a mains powered fence sprayer, works a treat. The only downside is you use more paint this way, but it is a lot quicker and you get a better finish.:)

Sorry, just noticed you said 'pump up thingy' dunno.

PaleoPerson did you water down the masonry paint?

I don't mind upgrading to a plug in fence sprayer. How much is a good one?

Do as they do in the boat building industry, while the paint is still sticky, sprinkle sugar over it.
Then when it has dried, wash with hot water, it leaves lots of small dimples and you have a non-slip surface!!!
It works for humans, i'm sure it could work for bees...

This is a good trick for the inside of poly feeders on the surface the bees walk down - although I used salt.

Latest posts

Back