Painting Poly Hives/Nuc

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwt_uk

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello all,

What paint do people recommend for painting poly hives/nuc boxes? Sandtex?

Cheers

I’ve used saddolin garden shades water based dried fast in a warm room, any exterior masonry paint inc sandtex. Currently using a dulux exterior satin and it’s water based. It’s expensive but I had a quantity available😉 Simple answer is given the poly grains most things stick well. Proper dec merchants often have summer specials for exterior masonry type paints(dulux/brewers)

I liked solvent based gloss paint, adheres better than masonry paint, seems more durable, and the paint seems to stay cleaner looking.

Masonry paint tends to crack.
Solvent based paints give the most durable finishes as they bond with the poly by dissolving a small amount of it before they set. ( Hammerite Garage Door Paint is expensive but works very well.)#

Water based paints work but fade fairly quickly and weather badly...

# 6 years and only minor touching up. so far

These are some poly broods purchased in 2006 from itld and coated with 2 coats of sadolin garden shades, they’ve not been touched since.

Attachments

• 31F7870B-E4CE-455E-BF1A-E2D1021A934B.jpeg
    31F7870B-E4CE-455E-BF1A-E2D1021A934B.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 19
  • D269FAB3-F690-41DA-B637-3FCABF9A0AE1.jpeg
    D269FAB3-F690-41DA-B637-3FCABF9A0AE1.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 18
Last edited:
solvent based gloss paint, adheres better than masonry paint, seems more durable, and the paint seems to stay cleaner looking.
Most suppliers suggest masonry but as Mike said, oil-based paint bonds better to the poly. Murray McGregor (ITLD here) has painted thousands of boxes and had forty years to try various methods and came to the same conclusion.

I've a cellar of leftover oil-based Dulux Eggshells (and others put out by neighbours) and an airless sprayer to do everything empty in one go.

Used Leyland masonry by hand in the past and it works fine (Dulux Weathershield is best) but masonry can flake or chip quite easily.

Last edited:
These are some poly broods purchased in 2006 from itld and coated with 2 coats of sadolin garden shades, they’ve not been touched since.
Thank you

I use Sandtex, though I've found the colour range limited. However, I have just been led to buypaintsonline by Ian123 :ROFLMAO: 'Alambra green and Chesnut???? I'm amazed, as I have never found those shades anywhere else!
I buy some masonry paint from Brewers (Designerpaint) in Eastbourne. Ironic really, as I now live in Birmingham, but used to live near there and actually went to Eastbourne College of Art. Expensive postage!

What I'm up to at the moment. :p I also 'detail' hives etc. with Acrylic. I reckon that it makes it easier to recognise any, if they were ever stolen!

Attachments

• Nucspaint.jpg
    Nucspaint.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 56
  • Paintstation.jpg
    Paintstation.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 54
What I'm up to at the moment. :p I also 'detail' hives etc. with Acrylic. I reckon that it makes it easier to recognise any, if they were ever stolen!
Love it! Although I'd like to do that myself, just the thought of doing it on only my two hives sounds too time consuming - perhaps I can paint a couple of fancy flowers at a time on them in situ later in the summer whenever I feel like it :)

Look wonderful - maybe you can resell them with a 50% mark up - I have no abilities in the artistic arena at all, if I lived anywhere near you I'd employ your talents.

Thank you! I do have a fair bit of time on my hands at the moment. Lucky really, as the leaves, despite being stencilled, took a lot longer. The second ten nucs consists of a more 'slapped-on' design!
By the way, I spoke of buying a Ryobi airless sprayer, in another post a while back. It was far too much hassle to use, so I'm back to brushes and rollers now. :rolleyes:

Poly hives you can use any paint you want as polystyrene is non porous, however wood hives need to breath so a breathable flexible paint is advisable. I use Cuprinol garden shades. You can also use linseed oil or nothing on cedar hives if you like the natural look
I wouldn’t use dark colours as they absorb more heat especially on nucs

Latest posts

Back