Painting a poly

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Onge

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
9 Medium Poly, mostly foundation-less. Some run as Warre TBH
Those of you that run poly hives ?

Do you paint the joining edges as well as the outside (as in the flat facing edges that the boxes sit on when stacked).

I don't know if I've even got the right question across lol

In other words can i just stack them all up and paint them, or do i have to separate them and paint the facing edges as well.

Phew.

Thanks.

Hi Onge, I have only painted the outside on mine. You might find they stick together if you paint the inside edge. Try a varnish for that, I use ronseal floor varnish it drys hard.

Mike.

So they shouldn't be just left ?

Or is the varnish for strength when prying the two surfaces apart with the hive tool ?

The rule of thumb is if the sun don't see it dinna paint it.

Some varnish the inner recess to make cleaning off propolis from the top bar lugs easier. I don't.

PH

So they shouldn't be just left ?

Or is the varnish for strength when prying the two surfaces apart with the hive tool ?

If it's a straight fight between metal and poly, poly will loss ever time. I think a more slicing action is needed to separate them. The varnish should help stop the two boxes from breaking when they do come apart (as PH says this is down to the quality of the foam as much as any thing).

Mike.

Vaseline, or any acceptable grease, is better than varnish to prevent them sticking together.

As far as I am concerned it's simpler and cheaper, but ymmv.

No problem with the quality these are from Swienty's bee-smillie :)

I am getting confused here.

The joining edges are NOT painted or varnished or anythinged. They are left bare : au naturel .........

KISS guys. Keep it simple. And more simple than this it does not get.

Ya paint the sides only, with gloss or vinyl it really does not matter.

And that is it. Very very simple.

PH

Thanks for the clarification Poly Hive, I'm all for making everything as simple as possible

the less painting the better.
:cheers2:

It is burr between frames which keep boxes tight together. No need to use vaselin or paint in edge joints.

when you later clean boxes with lye, it breaks paintings. It is better to keep plastic surface inside.

Back