Painting a hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steveuk

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all
i am new to beekeeping and just brought a National hive flat pack in readiness for next year, the wood is ceder i was wondering if any one has painted there hive and could you give me any guide lines what is best type of paint or product to use? or would you just suggest to leave natural.

thanks as allays for help
regards
Steve

There is no need to paint cedar - it weathers very well and ages beautifully. Ply/other woods do need sealing with anything not containing insecticide. If you search previous threads there are many giving personal preferences as for what to use.

welcome steve uk to the forum the painting of ceder is not needed as queens has stated try to use the search button as there are loads of hive painting threads we have gone through before, most people either go for oils , stains or paint depending on what your finish will be or level of ease.

oils are the simplest to use and quickest ever time but has no real range of colours.
stains come in ever shade going and are as easy as the oils to use

paints are the hardest to use and to keep in good condition requiring regular maintanence
personaly i am only a dulux man for inside paints but for my wbc hives i use sadolin white opaque as it is some much like paint but goes on like a stain

thanls all

Thanks again for help, sorry i am finding me feet in here, and now understand searching tool, sorry for duplicating questions asked/
Steve

unlike the dark side , steve we dont mind answering the same question as many times as it comes up ,

just remeber the old rule as the only silly question is the one you dont ask, may be i should use my unemplyment to go through them and make a sticky for you all to look at aswell

Thanks again for help, sorry i am finding me feet in here, and now understand searching tool, sorry for duplicating questions asked/
Steve

wouldnt worry we have all asked the question - congrats on understanding the search function - I still cant get it sorted!! I have painted one flat pack hive but must admit I have left the rest of mine natural.

The number of times i have come in from a hive in a mad panic usually within 5mins problem is sorted as there is nearly always someone on hand to help!

Last edited:
unlike the dark side

Are you referring to the BBKA forum here???

SteveUK, as you are lucky enough to have a cedar wood hive I would leave it unpainted. The wood does not rot and as others have said it ages nicely into a lovely natural finish.

Ben P

I painted mine with green fence paint just so they are a bit camouflaged

Warning: As a extra to johnandyrob, if you have a row of them, don't paint each one with a letter, like reading 'B-E-E H-I-V-E-S' on the roofs because any rat, on Google earth, can pinpoint your apiary and possibly raid your bees. Seems to be a worthwhile nocturnal occupation for some of the scum of society, these days.

Regards, RAB

Cuprinol clear has been recommended by many for the outside of the hive as it is not harmful to insects.

However, be careful to buy the one in the greenish tin as I think they have recently changed the formula and the one in the blueish tin does not say it is insect safe (may be awaiting testing but I don't know)

Latest posts

Back