Paint sprayer

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,
Looking for a reasonable sprayer that can spray both paint and wood preservative. Seen a few around the £100 mark or less. But not sure if they are any good. I dont have a compressor so it will need to be a stand alone one. Any advice on them gratefully received.

The airless ( AC coil) type sold for spraying fences seem not to be so good at spraying paints and just spurt and dribble emulsion.
Bit of a black art ( or a skill)
I have air compressor sprayers that will spray thinner paints .. acryllics and thinned cellulose
Also use an airless pumped German system, which will do the Cuprinol custom colours range and most emulsions that are thicker.
Even that clogs up on Wickes cheapest trade emulsions as it seems to have a lot of bulking agent in it.

I also get very good results with the good old fashioned paint brush!

Chons da

Last edited:
Just done 40 supers today with an old fashioned brush- hence pondering a sprayer. Did try getting my 13 year old son to do it but by the time I had paid the bribery and account for the spillage I figured a sprayer may be cheaper! Is the airless german system Wagner?

It depends what sort of output you need. When I was in contracting we had airless sprayers that would allow a crew of two to apply between 400-500 litres of emulsion in a 6 hour shift. I assume that's a bit OTT! But when we needed to do delicate stencilling or line work we used a HVLP sprayer which would be good for fencing or hives.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-...GXrvgTPc1os-1AEGgqRoC4bgQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
The secret to a good job is getting the paint viscosity right.

Last edited:
Hi,
Looking for a reasonable sprayer that can spray both paint and wood preservative. Seen a few around the £100 mark or less. But not sure if they are any good. I dont have a compressor so it will need to be a stand alone one. Any advice on them gratefully received.
I spent 30 years in the paint spraying business ...sadly, unless you pay a lot of money for a paint spray system you will be disappointed.

Compressor driven presure or HVLP systems will spray thin paints (and really you are looking at spirit based paints as most water based paints won't give you the coverage once they are thinned).

Airless paint sprayers will spray emulsion or masonry finishes but you need to spend several hundred pounds to get one that will do the jobe reliably .. otherwise you will spend more time cleaning the jets in the gun than you will spraying. They are usually too powerful to spray thinner paints - more paint will be around what you are spraying than on it.

I very much doubt that anything around the £100 mark is going to be any use ...sorry. Post some links to sprayers you are thinking about ...

I was thinking somthing like the erbauer newbeeneil posted above or somthing along the lines of these or the Wagner w100. Do you think they would be up to spraying ronseal on wooden boxes and paint on poly? Or do I just need a wider paint brush!

https://www.screwfix.com/p/wagner-w...8Dc8AyYxWuzHlnVgBghoCB0kQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Or

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-3000...45&hvtargid=pla-613457783672&psc=1&th=1&psc=1
Best read all the negative 1* and 2* reviews before you go ahead ... They are DIY HVLP spray systems - only one stage above the toys that they sell for spray tanning ... I rather think they usually need the paint to be thinned down a lot before they will spray successfully at all ... and with that comes the problem of adequate coverage, streaky finish and overspray (lots of it).

If you have lots of hives to spray buy something that is going to do the job and last forever:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Airlessc...259374?hash=item3b49ebc7ee:g:ljwAAOSw3vle~5cO
Or perhaps have a look round your local hire shops ... they might hire you an appropriate unit .. HSS stopped hirng out spray equipment as people made a mess of it ...

This looks like a reasonable value unit that with the right tips would do both your types of paint ... be warned though ... you do use a lot of paint, they chuck out a lot of overspray ... it's a bit of a skill to learn using them .. and whatever sprayer you buy there are two golden rules:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/High-Pre...788570?hash=item5961327eda:g:rsQAAOSwj4FgEpyl
1: If you don't want to get paint on it - mask it up properly BEFORE you start ... it's a lot easier than cleaning it off afterwards.

2. Clean the kit PROPERLY as soon as you have finished using it... or.. you will never get it clean and it will never work properly again.

I have one of these cheap Wagner spray guns , brilliant for spraying fences with stain as thats what they were made for,
I wouldn’t put an emulsion or masonry paint through it.

I bought this recently for a quick paint job:
https://www.toolstation.com/wagner-...UWqZr_ZDe38AICXkOHZVNNS5S_BOZunwaAgouEALw_wcB
It is obviously not as good as my old sprayer but my large compressor broke and I didn’t want to replace it.
Seeing that you have 40+ bits to spray I would think it would do the job.
problems are:
-Lots of over spray ( so need lot of paint)
-nothing to regulate the sprayfliw (only one “speed”) so it’s your movement that needs to go faster or slower.
-needs very good cleaning (takes a small hour) so it would be reusable.
-there need to be a minimum quantity of paint in the machine (about 1 or 2 litres).

Good points:
-It’s is really fast to paint. I primed some window frames in less than 1 minute (both sides).
-the machine as a “self mixing/thinning” so you drop the paint in it and the pump recycle the paint back in the tank. You can add a bit of water until the paint is fluid enough and run through the pump nicely.
View attachment trim.C97C9615-DBE9-491C-82E2-C1C7683AD581.MOV

That's great, thanks for the video. Some really useful advice in this thread, definitely given me some food for thought. Thanks all

Hi,

Try this one.......WAGNER Universal Sprayer W699 Flexio 1300ml & 800ml Spray With Bonus for sale online | eBay

I've been using this (actually an earlier model but the same spec) for about 3+ years and sprayed hundreds of hive parts with great success. Broods, supers, floors, roofs, stands, mating boxes, nucs...both wood and poly, the lot. Also used it to spray fences, walls of the workshop, deckings etc. I've put emulsions, wood preservatives, smooth masonry etc through it (although i've never used it with spirit based paints....yet). I've never had to thin the media down and used the stuff straight out of the tin but making sure it's well stirred and consistent throughout (I use a mixing paddle on the electric drill). Yes....you will get some light overspray but I set up a small temporary spray booth in the workshop using thin polythene sheeting behind the targets which I then just throw away at the end of the job/run. Plenty of control over the spray by the way. It's just a matter of practising with the settings before starting, using some old cardboard. Make sure the unit is thoroughly cleaned/washed after use and use fresh clean paint media so that there are no lumps in it.

Last edited:
I use Ryobi One+ tools and was going to buy their sprayer. There are good and bad reviews of it and similar sprayers, so I'm not so sure. Obviously, paint has to be thinned a bit and the sprayer cleaned within an inch of it's life after use! As with new hives for this year, I'm still researching. :geek::unsure::confused:o_O:hairpull::sleep:

Latest posts

Back