Pain

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bcrazy

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
nil bees given away all colonies
Question for the members

Do bees suffer pain?
For example after stinging when she bleeds to death. Drone after mating does he feel pain lossing his 'bits'?
When we accidently squash a bee but its not killed instantly?

Looking forward to your replys.:confused:

Regards;

I feel strongly that they feel pain and I am a bit surprised that with your internal knowledge you are wondering this.

If they sting me I kill them as their agony exceeds my discomfort massively.

PH

I am a bit surprised that with your internal knowledge you are wondering this.

Its Bcrazy's way of teaching members by asking questions,I think he must of completed every BBKA module going by now,he cant be far off being a "Master Beekeeper".

I should imagine having such finely tuned workings as they do, and being so sensitive to so many stimuli, i would be very surprised if they didnt, perhaps not pain as we feel but something equally unpleasant.

Do pigs, sheep, carrots etc.. feel pain when they are killed/harvested?? If you start thinking too much of these things you can run into morale dilemma and stop doing what ever involves animals, insects or plants. that is how i see it. things happen, you kill occasional bee but will it hurt or not is irrelevant. if it concerns it is better to become a munk and hang little bells on your boots an live from air..

Lauri

Of course bees feel pain.

As do all creatures.

Thank you all for your candid answers, I believe that the bees feel pain and hate seeing some beekeepers just kill the bee because it was in their way , I normally say something about their conduct.

The main reason I asked was because a very experienced beekeeper of over 50 years believes that the bees are cold blooded therefor do not feel pain, I did try to explain that the bee is poikilothermic, but he did not understand poor old bugger.

Regards;

lol wouldnt you feel pain having your bits ripped off after having a bit

You clearly don't know the women of Dorset.

They don't get any better in Somerset either...lol.

wouldnt you feel pain having your bits ripped off after having a bit

Hey VEG what do you mean 'having a bit? Bit of what? lol

I have asked the bees and they replied that what pain.
But bees feel love. Quite often they try to kiss me.

I do believe they can feel pain in some way, and am careful not to squish any but accidents do happen....

They don't get any better in Somerset either...lol.

Welsh burds in Somerset are even worse :leaving:

I have asked the bees and they replied that what pain.
But bees feel love. Quite often they try to kiss me.

the only kiss my bees want to give me are a Glaswegian Kiss :mad:

;)

Hey VEG what do you mean 'having a bit? Bit of what? lol

well all depends on the time limits one is thinking about when considering a bit - some bits are over in a flurry vis a vis 'I'll be there in a bit'. Some bits last a little longer, ie. 'a little bit more than last time' but perhaps there has been a spelling mistake and we should be reading 'bite' instead ?

LOL

S

Latest posts

Back