Packages

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poly Hive

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
Pictures to follow.

I had a very interesting time last night hiving, or is it nucing 5 packages?

This was a first for me, never (obviously) having done this before.

Given that they were kept for me rather longer than was perhaps wise they were in very good condition, and for sure are brood disease free...lol... thanks Mike for a *expletive avoided* good buy.

The packages came inside a very sturdy wooden frame some 4 feet long. Luckily my car has a neat seat fold down arrangement and they just fitted in.

I treated them like a swarm, and the box assisted handily acting as a funnel. I gave them a sharp rap so they fell off the roof and were on the bottom and then poured them into the Nuc boxes. The one difficulty I had was with the queen cages as they had stored some feed in the comb built around her. This made my gloves verra slippy to pull off the top of the cage to expose the candy. All the queens were found to be alive: and hopefully well.

I am intrigued to see how long it takes them to come into lay as they have been confined for some 8 days

All in all a good experience and I will post up some pics from the lappie as this tower has issues with USB ports.

I am intending giving the packages a frame of brood at least if not two to get them off to a faster start.

PH

Well done you. Cant wait to see the pics.

I've created a Packages Album as I cannot shrink the pics down to 19.5.

Admin cannot this limit be raised as my pics at that size were less than thumbnails? Using Irfan view btw.

PH

Back