Oxalic Vaporiser

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OA can cause serious eye damage, for the sake of a few quid to get adequate eye protection why would you even take the risk?
Like I said, my own personal opinion and choice. I'm well aware oxalic acid can cause eye irritation, and I wouldn't even need to spend a few quid, as I have suitable goggles. However, as I said, my own risk assessment, and the procedures I follow when I vape make me perfectly happy not to wear them. I don't heat the OA until the Gas-Vap spout is in the hive, and I seal the hive, so very little if any vapor escapes, and that which does, being white, is easy to see.

Best protection is knowledge and a careful weighing up of associated risks tailored to your own procedures.

Reactions: mbc
Use a ply insert for the pan, place an old pizza base or a piece of foil on the board so the pan doesn't burn it. Seal any gap with foam to keep most vapour with in.
With my board I glue two old frame bot bars in place to hold the vapouriser metal arm in position, for the pan I glue a stop in place so the pan sits in 50 - 70% of the way. To prevent the pan from tipping/spilling the contents l also glue a piece of thin ali to the wooden stop so the pan head sits under it by about 2 - 3mm.
The wire lead can often cause the vapouriser to twist spilling the contents so you need to hold said pan/vapouriser in situ.

Can someone explain how to avoid toasting bees during OAV. I used, what seems to be, the normal method of putting the vapouriser through the entrance and after treatment there were many toasted dead bees (fortunately not the queen) jettisoned from the hive.
I made a tray to slide into the hive where the inspection tray fits - under the omf. The central part is metal a nd the varrox sits on that. I then seal the gaps with cloths which also hold the varrox in place. I can then attach the battery and retire to a safe distance. Disconnect after two and a half minutes, wait a few more minutes before removing the cloths and the varrox. Other than having some OA jump out of the pan it works very well and Is safe. I have never needed a mask.

Can someone explain how to avoid toasting bees during OAV. I used, what seems to be, the normal method of putting the vapouriser through the entrance and after treatment there were many toasted dead bees (fortunately not the queen) jettisoned from the hive.

Get a metal varroa boardand put the vapouriser on it under the OMF with a length of foam to stop any vapourised stuff floating out. Then stand upwind until enough time has elapsed - 3-4 minutes. My method ever since I have had bees and never the slightest bother. Never, ever stick it through the effing entrance!! Simples!! :hairpull: :hairpull:

Get a metal varroa boardand put the vapouriser on it under the OMF with a length of foam to stop any vapourised stuff floating out. Then stand upwind until enough time has elapsed - 3-4 minutes. My method ever since I have had bees and never the slightest bother. Never, ever stick it through the effing entrance!! Simples!! :hairpull: :hairpull:
I'm sure this method works for you but there is a real possibility that a lot of the OA vapour will condense on the OMF and not make it into the hive as intended.
Sticking the vapouriser through the effing entrance works just fine. If you do it in the last hour before dark, the bees will all be inside and clustered - less toasted bees.

but there is a real possibility that a lot of the OA vapour will condense on the OMF and not make it into the hive as intended.
some, but not much - the dosage 0f 2.25 grams per hive regardless of type as calculated by LASI allows for some leeway.
I've always delivered sublimated OA through the OMF and have never had an issue

I gave up the varrox underneath as I lost too much oxalic on the mesh. Then moved to a sublimox over the omf at the back. This autumn Stan made me some ekes to do it from the top which is so much easier as I don’t have to close the entrance and can do it any time of day. I know that doesn’t answer your question but maybe food for thought over winter?

Thanks for all your helpful answers. I have been removing the inspection board and using OAV from under the OMF with a plywood sheet below (so as not to lose the vapour downwards) since my original post and so far no more toasted bee's. I do have a concern about how much actually gets into the hive and although I like Erichalfbee's idea of using a sublimox at £349 it does not make economic sense for my one National ;-)

Thanks for all your helpful answers. I have been removing the inspection board and using OAV from under the OMF with a plywood sheet below (so as not to lose the vapour downwards) since my original post and so far no more toasted bee's. I do have a concern about how much actually gets into the hive and although I like Erichalfbee's idea of using a sublimox at £349 it does not make economic sense for my one National ;-)
As I said, I've been vaping from under the OMF for years with no issue, yes, some desublimates on the OMF, but not enough to make a difference (the amount coming out at the top has been reassuring when I've checked) to cover any losses I put about 2.4 to 2.5 grams of OA in the pan although in conversation with prof. Ratneiks a few years ago the 'optimal' amount of 2.25g they calculated in their tests was sufficient for a double brood so losing a bit won't hurt. He also said that a larger dosage did no harm either.

Have always vaped through the entrance and never had a problem. I keep my frames cleanish, so brace comb on bottom of frames is rarely a problem. Rarely do I toast bees and if I do it is 1-2, probably less than get squashed during an inspection.
Each to their own

I'm sure this method works for you but there is a real possibility that a lot of the OA vapour will condense on the OMF and not make it into the hive as intended.
Sticking the vapouriser through the effing entrance works just fine. If you do it in the last hour before dark, the bees will all be inside and clustered - less toasted bees.

Rubbish.

I know. My economic sense has gone out of the window since I got bees 😂
Maybe when you have ten hives 😉
Back of the envelope calculation:
  • Apivar treatment ~£6 per hive, twice a year makes £12. So ten hives over three years makes £360.
  • Sublimox from Romanian supplier: £263 (SUBLIMOX ITALIAN - sublimator pentru acid oxalic - which is where I got mine. Postage was only a few quid and it arrived in five days)
I have ignored the cost of Oxalic Acid crystals as I cannot suggest using VMD unapproved 99.9% pure stuff which costs next to nothing. Of course you must use the VMD approved stuff which has been cut with glucose, which costs rather more and which clogs up the nozzles of the Sublimox

I have seen a gadget (on ebay I think) which remotely activates a varrox, fits between the battery and the varrox terminals, switches on after giving you enough time to move clear,switches off after the required two minutes with an audible alert then waits the specified extra two minutes for the crystals to finish sublimating and gives another alert to say the cycle is complete
The Sublimox does just that... but at a price.
Had a demonstration of using the Sublimox into a cover fitting over the boxes ( Have to remove lid and crownboard) vapour went down.
Time consuming but works well

The Sublimox does just that... but at a price.
Had a demonstration of using the Sublimox into a cover fitting over the boxes ( Have to remove lid and crownboard) vapour went down.
Time consuming but works well
I have now fitted deep crownboard to all my hives so that I can vape from the top. Works really well. They come off after the last vape. No comb built in them for the two weeks they were there.

Latest posts

Back