Oxalic Vaporiser

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy-glide

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Want to buy an oxalic vaporiser for use this winter. Does anyone have any recommendations as to a low cost unit capable of running on a 3S lipo along with a suitable gas mask.

At the mid to lower end of the market the Gas Vap is worth a look but buy a decent torch if you go down that route.

I would advise going with 3M 6000 series full mask, it protects the eyes as well. I was advised to get:

1. 3M 6059 ABEK1 Organic Vapour Filters / 6000 series
2. 3M 5935 / P3 Particulate Filters

Alternatively you can buy the 3M 6099 but its more expensive.

This one is cheap and works well, I have had no issue with it. I cut the croc clips off and use an XT60 to simply connect to my 3s lion or lipo.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bee-Vapo...673231?hash=item264513a78f:g:kkYAAOSwRqJfIPqS
I use 3m mask with AEBK1 but no glasses.
With a pan vaporiser one can stay up wind of the fumes, simply sit the lipo on the hive roof connect up and walk away for 2 -3 mins.

With gas vape although quicker one is in constant contact with the device and fumes.

I have both and use both.

Last edited:
This one is cheap and works well, I have had no issue with it. I cut the croc clips off and use an XT60 to simply connect to my 3s lion or lipo.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bee-Vapo...673231?hash=item264513a78f:g:kkYAAOSwRqJfIPqS
I use 3m mask with AEBK1 but no glasses.
With a pan vaporiser one can stay down wind of the fumes, simply sit the lipo on the hive roof connect up and walk away for 2 -3 mins.

With gas vape although quicker one is in constant contact with the device and fumes.

I have both and use both.
This brings up an interesting approach to the problem. Will now do some research on a remote activated switch for the vaporiser power supply so that it can be started remotely whilst standing up wind of the hive being treated. Only have a small number of hives, so any delay whilst waiting for the fumes to blow away is not an issue for me.

This device looks an option. Have placed an order for the vap device in your ebay link Hemo. So will see what current is takes from a 3s lipo as the remote switch device is only rated at 10A. If all else fails a low voltage wired switch on a long lead would work just as well using a suitable relay to connect the main current to the vap heater.

It does not matter whch type or style of vapouriser you use, OA vapour is nasty stuff if you breathe it in. You must wear a suitable respirator if you value your health. Standing upwind does not cut it.

Last edited:
I have both one of the cheap pan heater vaporisers (as in the Ebay link) and also a Gas-Vap.

Personally I found that the OA tended to jump out/boil over the pan, and I often had a large lump of OA that just solidified on the inspection tray. I tried new OA, in case damp was causing the problem, but this didn't help either. I also adapted the pan, creating deeper sides to contain the powder, but I was still never convinced that my bees got a full dose. BTW, the vaporiser in the link looks exactly the same as mine, which is marked as 150W.

I find the Gas-Vap much quicker and easier to use, and also more reliable. Every scrap you put in it gets vaporised, and you don't have to worry about making sure you have a power supply/charged battery.

For protection I have a 3M 4255 half face mask (FFA2P3). I don't find a full face mask or googles necessary, but obviously this is personal opinion.

For protection I have a 3M 4255 half face mask (FFA2P3). I don't find a full face mask or googles necessary, but obviously this is personal opinion.

OA can cause serious eye damage, for the sake of a few quid to get adequate eye protection why would you even take the risk?

Totally accept there is a health and safety issue with the use of OA Obviously we all must have responsibility to ensure the risk is minimized. After all just wearing a mask is no assurance that it does what you believe given I understand only two types of 3M filters actually offer protection from an organic acid such as oxalic.
Possible there may have been more people killed by bee stings than breathing in an organic acid or am I underestimating the risk?
Surely standing say 50 ft from a hive without protection to activate the device remotely has got to be better then standing 1 ft from the hive with some form of protection be it a cheap or expensive brand name or protective mask.

Last edited:
I have seen a gadget (on ebay I think) which remotely activates a varrox, fits between the battery and the varrox terminals, switches on after giving you enough time to move clear,switches off after the required two minutes with an audible alert then waits the specified extra two minutes for the crystals to finish sublimating and gives another alert to say the cycle is complete

This brings up an interesting approach to the problem. Will now do some research on a remote activated switch for the vaporiser power supply so that it can be started remotely whilst standing up wind of the hive being treated. Only have a small number of hives, so any delay whilst waiting for the fumes to blow away is not an issue for me.

Andy a switch isn't needed, simply have the loaded pan in place connect the battery and walk away up wind (mask on). The pan will take 30/40 secs to get up to temp before the OA subliminates, wait 3 -4 mins walk back and disconnect.

With my UFE's I have a piece of rubber draught stop on the front for the insert/pan board to butt against, my insert/pan board is a one off for my vaporiser and all my UFE's. A ply wood one with fittings on it to hold the pan in place and the wired handle length so it can't tip or spill the contents, an 8mm rear gap is filled with a foam strip so all fumes are kept in. No over spill of Apibioxal on the board so all gone up in fumes quite nicely.

Sounds like just the item I would need so if you can find any details that would be appreciated as building a custom device may not be cheap.

Did wonder if that approach would work but since the remote switch I found on ebay only costs a few pounds it would possibly be the best system to use.

I have seen a gadget (on ebay I think) which remotely activates a varrox, fits between the battery and the varrox terminals, switches on after giving you enough time to move clear,switches off after the required two minutes with an audible alert then waits the specified extra two minutes for the crystals to finish sublimating and gives another alert to say the cycle is complete
Think a "Mini 5/12/24V DC Infinite Cycle Delay Time Timer Relay Turn ON OFF Switch Module"as found on ebay should do the job but would need a mod to add audio and visual warnings.

Think a "Mini 5/12/24V DC Infinite Cycle Delay Time Timer Relay Turn ON OFF Switch Module"as found on ebay should do the job but would need a mod to add audio and visual warnings.
No, this was purpose made for a varrox setup and was reasonably priced if I recall

Can someone explain how to avoid toasting bees during OAV. I used, what seems to be, the normal method of putting the vapouriser through the entrance and after treatment there were many toasted dead bees (fortunately not the queen) jettisoned from the hive.

Can someone explain how to avoid toasting bees during OAV. I used, what seems to be, the normal method of putting the vapouriser through the entrance and after treatment there were many toasted dead bees (fortunately not the queen) jettisoned from the hive.
Vape under the omf
Or get an active delivery system like a GasVap or Sublimox and vape from the top or the back over the omf
A few choices.

Vape just before dark. The bees will be clustered and won't be so likely to be toasted.

Thanks Erichalfbee.
I will try vaping under the omf, but to do this I will need to take out the inspection board below the omf and vape from the back. This means there will be an open space below the vapouriser and the oxalic acid fumes will not be confined in the hive. Is this ok or do I need to create a false floor on top of the hive stand to confine the fumes?

Thanks Erichalfbee.
I will try vaping under the omf, but to do this I will need to take out the inspection board below the omf and vape from the back. This means there will be an open space below the vapouriser and the oxalic acid fumes will not be confined in the hive. Is this ok or do I need to create a false floor on top of the hive stand to confine the fumes?
Yes you need to shut off the bottom somehow and add a little more oxalic Apibioxal

Latest posts

Back