Oxalic use winter 2011/12

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Have you/will you be using Oxalic this winter?

• Yes, all or nearly all colonies

Votes: 66 70.2%
  • Some select colonies where needed

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • Not at all

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • Still undecided

Votes: 5 5.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
None of my own
There was a similar poll last year, albeit posted in October 2010. With the Yes/No/Maybe option, 57% said yes.

SO - have you/are you planning to use oxalic this winter. Including "some" for those who are just treating the odd selected colony.

Treated New Years Day - first opportunity to check today - the nuc has a solid floorso can't say but I presume fairly heavy as I did not Apiguard in September to let the queen build up as much brood as possible. The others at the moment very light fall - about three or four on each tray.

I'd like to know who the undecided ones are. Soon it will too late. What then? Wait for shook/artificial swarm - or just don't bother? Don't deserve to enjoy having the poor little critters imho.

I'd like to know who the undecided ones are ... Don't deserve to enjoy having the poor little critters imho.

How would that help you? Not a jot, I would suggest.

For those out there that snidely try to take swipes at those that do not treat with oxalic acid - here is my take on it, and any comments such as above.

I have oxalic acid and have used it by spraying, sublimating or trickling in the past.

I would use it if deemed necessary. I prefer not to use it, and have not used it at all during the last five years Not needed; only lost one colony over winter in the last 5 years and not vasrroa related! I do not treat with chemicals, particularly anything which may adversely affect the bees, more than is necessary (it's called balancing the risks).

Trying to kill off a relatively small number or of mites in this way is not high on my priorities. Given a very short time and there will be more. So, I keep the infestations at a low level all the year round by using other methods.

Go figure the difference. There may be a few more mites in my colonies in March/April/May, but a lot of those that use oxalic (not all, of course) do b****r all until they treat with thymol next August /September, when they likely have more mites to deal with than I have with mine.

Then, surprise, surprise, they find that the apiguard was not as efficient as they had been led to believe, so more than expected mites (likely more than in mine) are left for that important 'winter bee rearing' period.

Thanks very much. You now know that I have been undecided and that I am not going to treat (just like the last five winters). How does that help you? I give as much credit to your 'humble opinion' as I see fit. Not much, I'm afraid.

RAB

oxalic acid

i did not intend to use oxalic this year but will be today, my bees seem to have been very active this winter and in the summer the thymol treatment did not work as well as i would off like. the drop went on for a long time. and i think my bees have not wintered over as well as i would like, not been in hives but it looks like the queen is still laying as i am seeing young small bees around the out side of the hive. hive feels very heavy but still taking fondant, to my suprise.
needed a good frost to cluster them and get them into winter mode but its to late for that, must look toward a strong hive for spring which should be good the way it has gone. a/s will no doubt be high on the agender this summer.:banghead:

a/s will no doubt be high on the agender this summer.

Try not to be drawn into A/Sing in mid April like many were gleefully doing last year! At least be aware that the queens may be a long time getting mated, if at all - just like last year.

I split one colony in April, fully realising there may be mating problems (but the format of the hive was a one-off and needed some attention before my next possible visit - about two weeks later) and that was the only hive which failed to requeen.

I'm not treating with oxalic because I am not clear on the EU legalities I get mixed messages on the requirements of prescriptions etc.

you dont need a prescription for it

either use it or not just dont moan about it :willy_nilly:

Likewise, I don't use Oxalic Acid. I make up my homemade Anti-Varroa treatment,
applied both in the Autumn and Spring. Its made from organic Olive Oil, Beeswax, a little Fondant
plus a few drops of tree oil, and of course Thymol granules. Mixed to the consistency of soft butter,
the mixture is spread onto cut up strips of hessian sacking, pinned with drawing pins to the top of the brood frames.

It works a treat so to be honest, I would prefer to just use this treatment alone which agrees with my very docile
welsh bees and helps keep them clear of the dreaded Mite.

Strange choice - 'still undecided'!

A bit late now, to be thinking about it, I would have thought, and voting later would have been a better option for those five voters?

rab - i know the thread is strictly winter 2011/12 but given the recent brief mild spell, and the nature of some posts, many regard winter as over. so for them "will you be using Oxalic this winter?" probably refers to 2012/13!

Latest posts

Back