Oxalic treatments?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poly Hive

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
I came across an assertion elsewhere that it is legal to vape a colony once a year? Apart from seeming pretty useless is anyone aware of this in law?

PH

I came across an assertion elsewhere that it is legal to vape a colony once a year? Apart from seeming pretty useless is anyone aware of this in law?

PH

API-Bioxal MA includes the option to sublimate using "an electric resistance device". As that product is only authorised for administration once/year (irrespective of method) then strictly you can only sublimate API-Bioxal once per colony per year. There are no MAs in the UK for sublimation of any other Oxalic Acid products on the VMD database (in total there are 12 authorisations, but only 6 products as there are separate authorisations for Great Britain and Northern Ireland for each). Product Information Database - Home

The legal position on administering products which do not hold a marketing authorisation is discussed extensively elsewhere.

AFAIK the NBU have always frowned upon vaping and dodge the issue, but promote trickling.
It’s a wonder why they spent any time/resources researching trickling oxalic. There was a large amount of European data/research already out there😉

Last edited:
Nobody would make a mindless unenforceable law like that - would they?
I get the feeling that people are deciding to just ignore the whole oxalic acid thing and just stop talking about it. There seems to be agreement that the law can't be changed, and that it is crazy. The best thing I've seen written on this sad state of affairs is this. Thank you for it, Murox.

I'm going to stop talking about it - from now. See, it's gone away.

I get the feeling that people are deciding to just ignore the whole oxalic acid thing and just stop talking about it. There seems to be agreement that the law can't be changed, and that it is crazy. The best thing I've seen written on this sad state of affairs is this. Thank you for it, Murox.

Hear hear!

Not sure it’s going to work the discussion will come up every time a new beek wants some information😂 Conversations on trickling started 20 years ago and are still going. Unless of course it’s the nbu then it’s relatively new!

Yes its gone! My ignorance is a refuge for my recusancy

Not so much ''legal' to trickle once annually but the instructions on the only two OA treatments approved by the VMD (Apibioxial and the other almost identical twin) state that it should only be used once a year (because everything is really geared towards trickling, and the fact that multiple vapes are 'safe' has been ignored) so technically vaping more than once could be construed as 'not legal'

Nobody would make a mindless unenforceable law like that - would they?

Yep, once the applicant puts that condition into a license application and its approved for use, it becomes enforceable under law as product is being used outside it's approved use.

is it enforceable? probably not. Of course if you complete an accurate treatment card for each hive.......
Bees are a minor species that fall foul of a system designed to protect main stream food production from contamination with veterinary drugs .
Move along, nothing to see here 🙈🙉

Latest posts

Back