Oxalic Treatment

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curry756

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hello,

I am new to beekeeping and these are my first hives. I acquired these hives in October from a farmer as the bee keeper had passed this summer. They are both nationals and are both rather busy colonies. I can only assume that they haven't been treated Varroa treated, so I am looking to treat with oxalic solution this winter. My understanding is that I should drip 5ml onto each seam a few weeks after the first heavy frost. This hasn't happened in my area yet and my bees are far from clustering. Its currently 9.5C and very sunny outside and my hives are very busy - at least 10-20 bees visible at the entrance at any moment. I live in the London Borough of Bexley (SE inside M25)

I am only curious as I can see people on here treating already? I know the weather differs as you travel through the country, but its still a reasonable mild winter so far?

Any suggestions or tips greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

Firstly you need to assess the hive to see whether you have a varroa problem. All hives have some but bees will cope with minimal without treatment in winter.
Put a tray under the hive and check for varroa after 4 days. If dropping average of more than 4 a day then consider a treatment.
If weather mild, then she may still be laying. wait till January, we are in for a cold spell. 3 weeks after cold time then trickle 5 mls of OA over every full seam of bees, reducing to 3/4 mls if less in a seam.
You do what suits your conditions, those 'oop north' are colder than us...and the Scots.. tartan draws coming out..

I would be inclined to treat them anyway.

It hasn't got cold here either yet, but I shall be dribbling oxalic in the first or second week of Jan.
This has been discussed on other threads, but in early Jan if there is any brood it is likely to be at a minimum then.

Firstly you need to assess the hive to see whether you have a varroa problem. ..

first, are they on Solid floors or Open Mesh Floors? , the method of count mite drop on them differs but i would treat with oxalic now, you will have a varroa problem even if low

how heavy is the hive? You may need to feed them sugar fondant if they have not been fed, it depends on whether Honey was removed in July

Have the hives entrance blocks in (reducers) or Mouse Guards (metal with lots of 8mm

what is their current Format ( ie is it just one brood box? (Measure it and tell us if 225mm deep or 310mm deep) are there honey super on it (150mm deep boxes? ) any is a queen excluder above the brood box

any finally what beekepers book are you using and have you join a local Beekepers Asssocion?(third party insurance)

Yes everyone has varroa in the hive, but if very low, bees will cope. I have always treated but this year the drop is so low (one to zero) that I am going to leave alone. Next Spring will tell me if I was right or wrong.
Assessment is so important.

Given the temp around here doesn't seem to be going below 8 is it worth treating at all, I was under the impression you needed a decent cold spell to be effective.

Well if you dont treat you wont kill ANY mites.

Most varroa will be in brood so wont die with OA.
If stays warmish, maybe remove all brood early Spring, put in queen frame and remove brood again in 17 days. Repeat. Then allow to develop normally.

Winter OA trickling has worked so well for the last 2 winters so will do it again this year. I'll do it 21 days after the Solstice, coincidentally also the 21st - it's cheap enough and as Craig says, at least I'll kill some.
richard

Last edited:
Most varroa will be in brood so wont die with OA.

Its my opinion that there isnt any brood this time of year, but that opinion is only because there is none in my obs hive and never has been over previous winter periods. Whether there is any in my outside hives I dont know, but I dont see why the situation would be any difference.
The only way you know is if you had been pulling frames out.

Well if you dont treat you wont kill ANY mites.

Heather says she doesnt have a problem with varroa. A lot of those that are in the hive will probaly die anyway, and if there is no brood, they havent got anywhere to lay eggs.

Last edited:
Dishmop my reply was to domino

"Given the temp around here doesn't seem to be going below 8 is it worth treating at all, I was under the impression you needed a decent cold spell to be effective."

I still say if you are going to treat just do it dont wait for the perfect weather it may not happen

Dishmop my reply was to domino

"Given the temp around here doesn't seem to be going below 8 is it worth treating at all, I was under the impression you needed a decent cold spell to be effective."

I still say if you are going to treat just do it dont wait for the perfect weather it may not happen

My apologies for misunderstanding..........

perhaps a quote might help?

I will stand in corner with naughty hat on.

and eat the rest of the chocolates left in the box..

Make sure you eat the coffee ones lol

It was a box of crispy Operetta.
A whole hazlenut coated with a rich praline cream & crispy wafer coated in milk chocolate & chopped hazlenuts.

Firstly you need to assess the hive to see whether you have a varroa problem. All hives have some but bees will cope with minimal without treatment in winter.
Put a tray under the hive and check for varroa after 4 days. If dropping average of more than 4 a day then consider a treatment.
If weather mild, then she may still be laying. wait till January, we are in for a cold spell. 3 weeks after cold time then trickle 5 mls of OA over every full seam of bees, reducing to 3/4 mls if less in a seam.
You do what suits your conditions, those 'oop north' are colder than us...and the Scots.. tartan draws coming out..

Thanks Heather - i have open Mesh floors with inspection trays in. I will clean them and then start counting :)

Latest posts

Back