Oxalic sublimation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erichalfbee

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Does anybody vape from the top?
I’m not convinced that sublimating from the bottom even above the OMF is the most efficient.

Yes. With a clear crownboard the cloud of fine powder formed as the vapour re-solidifies can be seen to settle on the tops of the frames from where bee traffic distributes it. I use a crown board with a deep rim and a hole in the edge to suit a gas cap. When complete withdraw the gas vap pipe and plug the hole with a bit of dowel.

Yes. With a clear crownboard the cloud of fine powder formed as the vapour re-solidifies can be seen to settle on the tops of the frames from where bee traffic distributes it. I use a crown board with a deep rim and a hole in the edge to suit a gas cap. When complete withdraw the gas vap pipe and plug the hole with a bit of dowel.
Would it work with a vapouriser that has a small tray for the OA?

How deep are your ekes or rims?
I feel I need to try this. Thanks
I used the eccentric pattern of crown board beloved for flipping over to accommodate trays of apiguard then drilled a hole in the rim of the deeper side to poke the gasvap tube through. If you don't have the eccentric crownboard a 15mm or similar eke should be equally useful. I don't think it's critical.
I am careful not to let the hot tube contact the top edge of my polyhive brood boxes.

I tried that. It works but scorched the tops of the frames and made the polycarbonate crownboard go opaque above the tray.
Yes those pan heaters can easily scorch wood. I use one and find that the sublimate easily reaches to tops of the frames. I had occasion to open a hive some minutes after an application once and found that the bees were also grooming each other as well.

Yes those pan heaters can easily scorch wood. I use one and find that the sublimate easily reaches to tops of the frames. I had occasion to open a hive some minutes after an application once and found that the bees were also grooming each other as well.
:iagree:

More than once when I started sublimating I would make a point of checking, I sometimes have feeders on as well, and there was always plenty of sublimate up top.

Ok thanks
Plans abandoned.
Stan refused too make me any more “stuff” for bees when I asked him anyway. 😥

Thanks for that. I’ll stick with the conventional way, from the bottom.
I have a metal tray which I slide under the OMF from the back where the inspection board goes in. I then slide the heat pad on top of that and cover the gap with an old towel. I won't use the front entrance again (bishop to actress!) since I fried the queen! Not a good time to cook her just before winter!
E

I have a metal tray which I slide under the OMF from the back where the inspection board goes in. I then slide the heat pad on top of that and cover the gap with an old towel. I won't use the front entrance again (bishop to actress!) since I fried the queen! Not a good time to cook her just before winter!
E
That sounds like a good idea. I went in from the front last time.

I Gas vape from the back above the OMF, I made some UFE's with the OMF set down 10mm. A groove cut out for the G/V extension to go in and a T- piece plug made from and old bottom bar to fit in the groove when finished.

I Gas vape from the back above the OMF, I made some UFE's with the OMF set down 10mm. A groove cut out for the G/V extension to go in and a T- piece plug made from and old bottom bar to fit in the groove when finished.

Similar to what I do already. With a sublimox.

I have made holes in the side of my UFE's at an angle to direct the cloud of gas up into the BB. I fill the hole with a bolt after use.
I also have holes drilled in some of my crownboard/ekes which I can use to Gas Vap from above.

E

I do the same on my wood hives but I struggle with Abelo poly. Anyone got any tips for vaping Abelo with a Varrox?

I do the same on my wood hives but I struggle with Abelo poly. Anyone got any tips for vaping Abelo with a Varrox?
When I was using the pans I cut plywood to size to make a board and then added furniture sponge along the back edge to create a seal. On the board I placed a heat resistant silicone mat used for hair straighteners to stop the board burning.

This thread also reminds me, I need to finish off my underfloor entrances with dowel/bolts in order to take the sublimox.

Can someone explain please. When buying Oxalic acid it seems to be called either "Oxalic Acid" or "Oxalic Acid Dihydrate". Are they the same thing?
If not are they both suitable for a vapouriser?

Latest posts

Back