Oxalic - how does it work?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iang

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
As it's done Xmas / New Year time in coldish weather I'm guesssing it doesn't kill varroa with it's vapour. Do the bees ingest it so it gets in their bloodstream and subsequently in to the varroa's bloodstream killing the pesky little mites?

From the BBKA

Research has shown that using very small
doses of acid will damage the claspers on the probosis of the varroa
mites, preventing them from sucking the haemolymph from the bees. This,
coupled with damage to the mites respiratory apparatus kills them. This
small dose will cause minimal harm to the bees.

From the BBKA

Research has shown that using very small
doses of acid will damage the claspers on the probosis of the varroa
mites, preventing them from sucking the haemolymph from the bees. This,
coupled with damage to the mites respiratory apparatus kills them. This
small dose will cause minimal harm to the bees.

Booger, you cut and paste before i could.... :reddevil:

Bees do not eate oxalic syrup. It makes bees dirty and the acidity kills the mites.

Fumigation makes small oxalic crystal needles into the hive.

That should throw the spanner in the works.....

Has anyone read this.

21 Oct 2010 ... Sublethal effects of oxalic acid on Apis mellifera L. ..... The single dermal treatment of OA can cause pH changes in internal organs and the haemolymph of the bee: in ... damages of the digestive systems are suspected. http://www.apidologie.org/index.php.../apido/full_html/2010/06/m100106/m100106.html

What that means in practice?

sublethal = non lethal effects....

single treatment - with what stuff....

are suspected...

What then... OA has been used 10-15 years and much problems have not been found. And now what?

workers will be all dead before next yield begins. To queens no problems has been found.

In spring build up no problems have been found.

Thanks for that question. I never thought about how it worked. Good info.

That should throw the spanner in the works.....

I know what Dishmop means, but I dont think it does.
Oxalic is a treatment episode not a program, the bees treated with oxalic come out of the system by mid may latest (yes, HM is the exception that devakues this whole argument granted), there is not (or should not be) extended exposure for the colony as a whole.

Following the spanner theme.
"Is it worse to do minor damage to the oil drain plug by opening it with a spanner or better to accept that for the greater good of cleaning the engine with an oil replacement"
Surely controlling varroa (the known threat and target advantage) is the justification, any oxalic issues are minor 'side effect' in comparison.

Latest posts

Back