Oxalic Acid Vaporizer

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my personal experience the GasVap is better than a pan vaporiser. I've got both. I started with the pan, but found that there would often be residual OA that hadn't vaporised. It would vaporise underneath, where it was in contact with the pan, but often there was a 'crust' on top that wouldn't get vaporised. I switched to a GasVap and found it much easier, and more efficient.
You need PPE no matter what you're using to vape OA, but the only other equipment I need for the GasVap is a soldering mat. I certainly don't need fire resistant gloves or pliers. The GasVap stays fixed to the torch, so once you've attached it you don't have to touch it again, even when it's hot. The only hot part you have to touch is the caps, and I just use a soldering mat to pull them off and drop them straight in a bucket of cold water. When I'm finished, again I can just unscrew the GasVap from the torch using the soldering mat so that it drops into the water.
Since my torch is already part of my beekeeping kit (for lighting the smoker) there's minimal additional equipment required.

I discoverd the pan had detached from the rod on my Thorne Vapmite last week. Had used it around 10 times and don't remember knocking it hard on anything. I used a small twig as a shim to wedge the rod back in place and it works fine. Any suggestions on what could be used as a more permanent fix, I was thinking of whacking the pan with a hammer to reduce the hole size so it'll stay in place?

This works well too:

https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/holt...Ug2IBktYf5LqAueEmLMDq5BQdj9e_lQBoCx44QAvD_BwE

I started with the pan, but found that there would often be residual OA that hadn't vaporised. It would vaporise underneath, where it was in contact with the pan, but often there was a 'crust' on top that wouldn't get vaporised.
Never experienced that to be honest, and I do quite a few every season.

....and a pair of pliers and a soldering mat.
hello all. I know this might open up a 'hornets nest', but as a newbie I find all this technical kit rather offputting. I used apiguard dishes this September, but understand that to eradicate Varroa, many recommend a treatment of oxalic acid in December too, which sounds like a very noxious product. Is there really no effective 'organic' treatment which is easier to administer?

hello all. I know this might open up a 'hornets nest', but as a newbie I find all this technical kit rather offputting. I used apiguard dishes this September, but understand that to eradicate Varroa, many recommend a treatment of oxalic acid in December too, which sounds like a very noxious product. Is there really no effective 'organic' treatment which is easier to administer?
for winter treatment, Oxalic Acid trickle is a lot simpler and 'safer' (unless you decide to drink the leftover solution.)

Oxalic acid is an organic acid found extensively in various plants that we eat almost daily.

Oxalic is organic! A simple gas vap is more than adequate for a few/couple of hives. If all that still sounds complicated premixed apiboxal is available to bleach your wooden frames mid winter, you just need a large syringe.

I have pan types and Gasvap, although I do use both I prefer the pan type.
I have little or no issue with vape reforming on the omf, I do enclose the pan so no wind or cold air blowing has an effect on the vape.

My cheapie vaporiser costing about £25 off EBay about 8 years ago, has never been a problem and still going strong.
My cheap one from ebay has been effective however this morning the tray came off the shaft. I had to take the hive apart to get the tray out of the hive. Thankfully it had worked.
Now, what sort of glue withstands temperatures? None I reckon. Grub screw project ahead I think unless anyone has any other suggestions.

My cheap one from ebay has been effective however this morning the tray came off the shaft. I had to take the hive apart to get the tray out of the hive. Thankfully it had worked.
Now, what sort of glue withstands temperatures? None I reckon. Grub screw project ahead I think unless anyone has any other suggestions.
Sounds like the best way to tackle it ..
someone suggested soldering earlier on . I don’t think the solder would stand the heat ?

for winter treatment, Oxalic Acid trickle is a lot simpler and 'safer' (unless you decide to drink the leftover solution.)
This is what I’m planning on doing with only 2 14x12’s I will start looking around on what to do later this month, be ideal if you could buy it premixed for those of us with just a few hives, I’ll do some searching online

This is what I’m planning on doing with only 2 14x12’s I will start looking around on what to do later this month, be ideal if you could buy it premixed for those of us with just a few hives, I’ll do some searching online
You can buy the pre-mixed (just add water) 'legal' stuff from companies like Thornes, it's called apibioxial. you will get more than enough to do two hives, just keep the powder until next time. (the mixed stuff doesn't keep)

Last edited:

"
* OA is a natural chemical, and is found in honey and most vegetables.
* Carrots are 0.5% OA. One pound contains enough OA, 2.25g, to treat one hive. "

Attachments

• Toufaila et al 2015 varroa OA sublime.pdf
    820.8 KB · Views: 9
  • LASI OA leaflet.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 6

Latest posts

Back