Oxalic acid vaporisation.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfbee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Four of my colonies have nadired supers. Can I vapourise from the entrance with a gas vap? This would mean that the vapour would go up through the super to the brood box. I’ll be removing the supers in spring and putting them upstairs where (hopefully) the bees will clean them up so nothing will be extracted from them.

Yes: I do that every year. No problems with varroa levels nor supers.

Using a gas vap with it's 8mm delivery pipe should lend itself to a few options. Personally I would suggest a modified crown board with a hole in the side that can be plugged when not in use so as to enable the sublimate to descend onto the brood frames. Got to admit I've not yet got round to drilling mine as so far I've cracked the crown board joint, slid the pipe in and taped the gap during the operation. Others have mentioned making an adapter and introduced the delivery pipe into the hive via a feeder hole.

Using a gas vap with it's 8mm delivery pipe should lend itself to a few options. Personally I would suggest a modified crown board with a hole in the side that can be plugged when not in use so as to enable the sublimate to descend onto the brood frames. Got to admit I've not yet got round to drilling mine as so far I've cracked the crown board joint, slid the pipe in and taped the gap during the operation. Others have mentioned making an adapter and introduced the delivery pipe into the hive via a feeder hole.

Attachments

• Gasvap funnel 1.jpg
    Gasvap funnel 1.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 46
  • Gasvap funnel 2.jpg
    Gasvap funnel 2.jpg
    314 KB · Views: 47
  • Gasvap funnel 3.jpg
    Gasvap funnel 3.jpg
    449.6 KB · Views: 42
What do people think the optimum ambient temperature for OA vaping would be ?

My thoughts !
too cold ,cluster too tight 👍

Unless bees are in poly
Winter is the season of rest and recuperation rather than bee activity and the subsequent use of valuable stores with no income .
bees in wooden hives have managed to handle a swing of 50°c = -20c to + 30°c.
Are poly hives bio degradable?

Bees in poly use less food. At least mine do. Remaining more active than in a tight cluster involves less energy to keep alive.
My original question has been answered to my satisfaction, poly v timber is all academic as far as I’m concerned. 🙃

Four of my colonies have nadired supers. Can I vapourise from the entrance with a gas vap? This would mean that the vapour would go up through the super to the brood box. I’ll be removing the supers in spring and putting them upstairs where (hopefully) the bees will clean them up so nothing will be extracted from them.

To get them to clean up the super in spring would you put a crown board between bb and super?

To get them to clean up the super in spring would you put a crown board between bb and super?
If the shallows had been nadired correctly, the bees will have moved everything up in the autumn so they would be clear in the spring - before moving them up

If the shallows had been nadired correctly, the bees will have moved everything up in the autumn so they would be clear in the spring - before moving them up

I’m asking because I’ve got a super on top of a bb on one of my hives (no qx). Should I separate it from the bb with a crown board in the Spring?

I’m asking because I’ve got a super on top of a bb on one of my hives (no qx). Should I separate it from the bb with a crown board in the Spring?
by the spring it will br full of brood, so just separate it with a queen excluder (first making sure that the queen is below ot in the brood box) the bees will clean out the cells as the brood emerges and then backfill with honey.

Latest posts

Back