Oxalic acid sublimator / vaporiser

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xray7

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Doing a bit of research into best vaporizer to get before spending upwards of £350

Can anyone who uses one give a recommendation ?

Also best type of voltage regulator to use ?

Both the the one sold by Thornes and also Norfolk Honey company claim to be for semi professional use, but which is better ?

I had the same dilemma, in the end I went for the sublimox that thornes sell as it just seemed more proven. I ordered it from Romania though, got spare parts as well for less than than it cost from the UK.

Save yourself some money:

I'd go along with that. The OP also needs to think about some Personal Protective Equipment - respiratory face mask, goggles, possibly heat resistant gloves (although others have suggested the use of a rag to protect the hands from hot kit when changing caps). Look at the videos and see how easy to use and quick it is.

CVB

I've got the sublimox which is a great piece of kit, if pricey. But as it's 240v-powered, difficult to use it when it's raining. It also requires a bit of extra effort to set up - long extension to reach from car to hives (you can run it off a battery of course), big box of bits to carry around. I use this when I do all the hives in one go.

But, I've also got a gas-vap which is used on an ad-hoc basis. It fits in my bee toolbox so is always available.

I had pondered the same question as the OP for next season, but I'm sure the GasVap gets a bad press in other threads due to the potential to easily overheat the OA and cause adverse problems?

I had pondered the same question as the OP for next season, but I'm sure the GasVap gets a bad press in other threads due to the potential to easily overheat the OA and cause adverse problems?

You can't over heat the oxalic acid mix as it sublimates rather quickly when it reaches the right temperature...i have a Gas Vap and it is excellent.

Its the GasVap itself that overheats....
Seriously, had mine so hot the caps sublimated the added OA even off the device.....very glad I was wearing my protective mask and welding gloves when that happened.

other reasons for hive failure besides the type of vapourizer used best monitor mite levels carefully regardless of type used

Ahh, thanks Millet and BF; I must have been thinking of this thread and the "partial decomposition" concern from the OA data:

https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=45102&page=13

:confused:

If you are not confident about the Gas Vap go for a heated pan type like a Varrox or similar..i have a pan type that cost me £80 several years ago but i do not use it any more it is in the cupboard for a just in case moment..if you do go for a pan type be careful with some of the cheaper ones as they can take upto 6min's to sublimate the OA mix..the one i have takes 2min 30sec..
When you have a few hives to do you want each one done as quick as possible for obvious reasons..that is why i love the Gas Vap..it takes 20sec per hive and you do not have to lug a 12v car battery around with you..
It's a shame i was not closer to you as i could show you one in action and it would make you think what was all the panic about..

Its the GasVap itself that overheats....
Seriously, had mine so hot the caps sublimated the added OA even off the device.....very glad I was wearing my protective mask and welding gloves when that happened.
Any recommendations (links) for respirators & filters to use if vaping OA ?

That's really good value ... I can't find any full face kit less than about £50 ... Really positive reviews as well. I have a full mask for sanding when I'm woodturning which cost a lot more than this but it fogs up, pinches around the sides of my glasses and it's darned uncomfortable to wear - with the result I tend not to wear it and use my half mask ... for what it costs well worth a punt on the basis of the reviews.

Last edited:
ABEK1 filters is what is needed.

Latest posts

Back