Oxalic acid strength

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VEG

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
15+-some
Ok I have some oxalic that is 4.5% in distilled water, this is how it was supplied ready mixed. Is this too strong or should I weaken it with sugar syrup down to 3.2ish?

Trickling syrup varies in dirrerent countries. Switzerland uses 2,5% OA content. Northern countries use 3,2% and in Italy you may often meet 4%.

They all give as good dead rate with varroa.

Yes, I would mix 2 parts of solution and one part 50% syrup.

I believe that as you get stronger than 3.2% the bee damage becomes greater, with less than 3.2% the efficancy is reduced.

I suspect that the reason for supply as 4.5% is because once the sugar is added to the solution it becomes subject to degradation with time. Your soulution kept in cool dark conditions will probably be good for years.

I suggest that you either inquire from your supplier - BKA - what was intended.
Having read the instructions on the packet of OA from Thorne, which state: 75g OA crystals (technical), 1 litre water and 1 kg sugar will give a 3.2% solution. I suggest that the solution you have is good and only needs the requisite amount of sugar to bring the solution to the required 3.2%. be warned though that this is an uninformed guess. Your supplier should be able to confirm this is the case.

In the Thorne recipe they state that the amount is good for 25 hives, so a quarter of your solution would be good for half a dozen hives. Be aware of the discrepancy caused if you have only 1 litre, rather than 1 litre + 75g (would that be 1.075 litres).

Failing that, Rouary on the BBKA forum or Finman and others here should be able to work out reliable figures. Is PH an industiral Chemist or just a roughneck? ha ha - no offense intended :)

I'm sure that the relevant advice is available from a few knowledgeable souls. best to ask your supplier though as they are almost certain to have an unequivocal answer for you.

Sorry to go on a bit folks. :(

I believe that ....

Failing that, Rouary on the BBKA forum or Finman and others here should be able to work out reliable figures. :(

yeah! To mix 2:1 liquid you need to be an engineer but they are expencive consultants.

I am only a master in biological sciences and specialized plant biochemistry.
I suppose that bee are not plants and I believe that bee is an animal, so my skills are not enough to handle problem. But I trust on my luck!

Don't mention BBKA. They are not able to handle this because this is against Great Britain's Law. (=Ruary from Ireland).

Last edited:
Ha ha, you have already provided the answer I believe Finman. :grouphug:

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3106 post #3, item . . ._treatments.pdf page 26 seems to describe the situation very closely. You may like to hop along and give it a gleg.

Do let us all know if it seems to answer the question satisfactorily. :grouphug:

Never mind. Our climates are so different. Nothing suits to you which suits to us.

We have woods enough where we can escape if someone try to take into prison.

They have lots of woods in Canada - and Canadian Mounted Police - They always get their man!

I suspect that the reason for supply as 4.5% is because once the sugar is added to the solution it becomes subject to degradation with time. Your soulution kept in cool dark conditions will probably be good for years.

Oxalic acid solution on its own without sugar will keep for many years at room temperature, it's the sugar that degrades in the presence of oxalic acid. A stronger oxalic acid-sugar solution stored under identical conditions will degrade quicker.

Latest posts

Back