Oxalic acid query

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poly Hive

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
I have a bottle of 6% Oxalic acid with 30% sugar.

I thought the dilution rate should be 3%?

Should I cut this by half with water?

PH

Don't know how you can accurately dilute that down,i use 3.2% solution,as do most others,some countrys use stronger. easiest way would be to make your own,but make sure the acid is all well disolved. buy a small box from thornes,and instructions come with it,only takes a few mins to mix up,and then you would know you have it accurate.

Last edited:
Hi

Would there be a use before date or how long would it last?

oxalica.jpg

Hi Jim, imformed by the one's that sell the oxalic crystals that they will keep for yours or my lifetime,as long as they are kept sealed and in a dry place.The mixture, as we know, you dispose of any surplus soon as you finnished treating.

I have a bottle of 6% Oxalic acid with 30% sugar.

I thought the dilution rate should be 3%?

Should I cut this by half with water?

PH

You need 50-60% sugar content too.

For 10 hives you need 300 g sugar + 300 g water + oxalic acid 22 g = 4,8 dl

You have now liquid

.... sugar.... water
6 % .... 30 .... 70 = 100 g

To get double volume you need 100 g more sugar and water, but in opposite rate, and you get 50-50

you add sugar 70 and water 30 g, so you have both 100 g +100 g = 1,6 dl. = 50% sugar = for 3-5 hives.

If you make 3 doses, you get for 10 hives

Original juice 300 g (90 sugar + 210 water)
sugar ..........210 g
water...........90 g

It is better to confirm my calculations

Last edited:
Thanks Hivemaker

Just added a box of it to my thornes order, ready for next year.

Jim

Thornes are selling some cheap pollen traps as well, plastic, not seen what they are like but at £5.00 ea can't be bad. They buy in a lot of the equipment just to have the sale.

this bottle of 6% came from thornes and I initially thought it was ready for use the reading D Cushmans site thought hang on here.

thanks Finman.

PH

Jimbeekeeper. I have the same box and was worried that no strength was on it - I used 20gm in 500ml of 1:1 syrup -Finman said a bit weak but my results have been good with no bee loss. Time will tell...
And, yes, stored in Kitchen cupboard (high up) will last me my beekeeping lifetime:)
Heather

I think you should be fine Heather,its only a few grams under.

Jimbeekeeper. I have the same box and was worried that no strength was on it - I used 20gm in 500ml of 1:1 syrup -Finman said a bit weak but my results have been good with no bee loss. Time will tell...

Practical percentage varies. In Switzerland they use 2,5% and in Mediterranean region they often use 4,2%.

Sugar rate means too.

I don't have accurate scales, so I bought ready made up oxalic syrup mixture - a litre - and although I've given some away, I have a lot left. I keep it in the shed - freezing in Winter hot in Summer. I thought I would have to throw it away becuase if you store madeup oxalic acid at too high a temperature it deteriorates?? If true this would meam yours in the kitchen cupboard Heather would not last for ever either.

Is it true that it doesn't last made up???

Don,t keep if made up,keeps fine in powder form in box.

I bought accurate scales today and made it up. 6 colonies dosed and one still to do. One colony gone, for no obvious reasons. Still 7 to play with still so plans are fomenting.

PH

Hi poly hive, thats the best way,you know for sure what you have then,i've also been out doing the same today,last one's tomorrow.

Yup.

I am seriously annoyed with myself over two losses in late autumn as I was just too busy with the main business here to attend to bee business and of course lost two of the best nucs to starvation.

I confess. Starvation which is no excuse at all if you have the time to pay attention but when the balance is between the livelihood and the hobby which comes first?

Moral of the story is when the nuc gets strong move them into a full box and feed.

PH

I am not suprised PH with the amount of other stuff you had going on going into winter.

I nearly lost everything at the end of August due to the bees starving,I ended up giving straight granulated sugar on nespaper as an emergency feed while waiting for my fondant to arrive.

bit desperate that Admin, a big saucepan and syrup making might have been a better plan.

As for being busy I still am.

Julie is in a splint which imobolises her left wrist to cure her tendonitis, and so I am the main man at the moment and the builders are excavating the newly found cellar... plus guests of course..LOL

Time?

PH

As females go, it would be easier somtimes (and cheaper!) to have another human woman on the side rather than bees.:cheers2:

Back