oxalic acid double brood

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chalkie

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5+
I have 1 of my hives on double brood, whats the best way to treat this with the oxalic acid, lifted the lid today just for a very quick check and they seem to be between the boxes.

I had this scenario. I decided- rather than pull apart the boxes and possible damage to the colony I trickled about 7 mls between the frames through the top box and hope to cover the bees below. bees fine and about 150 varroa drop (with pre OA drop being about 5 in 3 days). So I think I did the right thing.
Hope this helps.

.heather, from where hell your have got that skenario???

you just drible 50 ml into the hive.
If there are 10 frames you give 5 ml per semen.

40 ml to one box and 50 ml to two box.

i have never seen any pre drops in 3 days?

Last edited:
Double brood does not necessarily mean more bees. They would be on no more seams than if they were on a single brood or just in one box.

Defra recommend treatment if varroa drop is more than 0.5 per day in the winter - well they actually say colony collapse is very likelybefore the end of the season if the average daily mite drop for a normal colony exceeds the figure quoted.

Regards, RAB

looks like finman has bee sowing his wild oats again :svengo:.
Sorry couldn't resist :).

John Wilkinson

I know what you mean Victor.
Double endendre is a wonderful thing. Even when really a schoolboy howler. How come the French got to name it? :)

Finman- back off with your semen!
7mls per frame instead of 5mls per frame for single brood. I was just allowing an extra 2mls wastage in the emptier upper frames.

Finman- back off with your semen!
7mls per frame instead of 5mls per frame for single brood. I was just allowing an extra 2mls wastage in the emptier upper frames.

European union varroa group researched 10 years trickling and it has never gived 7 ml advice per semen.
It was finnish researcher Seppo Korpela who invented that per semen thing and dead rate become better.

if . Defra has said something, they have understood wrong 2 brood case.

looks like finman has bee sowing his wild oats again :svengo:.
Sorry couldn't resist :).

John Wilkinson

dear mr. Wilkinson, i have teached british beekeepers several years to read European Union varroa group's original results but you have a great ability to make your own ideas which are based on nothing. Ireland is totally out in their advices.
. John, you and your oats.

It might be hard to swallow but what will you do with the extra semen?:puke:

most of my colonies winter in 2 brood hives and just now it has been -20 C for whole week.

there are no extra semen in hives. They have rigid walls and boxes are full of bees.

original advice is max 50 ml per colony .
i need not swallow anything because i have learned notthing from brittish varroa handling.

Last edited:
Finman

They are joking because you mis-spelt a word.

The word you should be using is seam.

You used the word semen which has an entirely different meaning!

PeterS,

I sent him a pm just a few minutes before you posted. Urine extraction comes to mind but far too subtle in this particular instance.

Regards, RAB

You come so easily glad. Nice!

But I really recommend that you make your transalation better from English to English.

I toggle my sentences into mobile and I do not bother to correct my words.

Happy Christmas!

pig-arse.jpg

Last edited:
I think that Google Translate does a better job.
I used to use Babel Fish, but have found that over the last few years that Google has improved it's contextual accuracy enormously. :)

WaxmanSmokerboy reccomends it highly also and says Merry Christmas Heather. (Not going to Madrid for Christmas).

te aari ei ehtiminen Joulu suudelma= sounds like : your are about acre and my mouth will dry upp for kissing before Christmas

Last edited:
b......s - :toetap05: It is 'you are not getting Christmas kiss'- admit it - all translation sites cannot be wrong...

and surely that was not your best photo Finman ? - you -without the bees??

Last edited:
Back