Oxalic acid colouring ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

victor meldrew

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Whilst applying OA yesterday, using the premixed dispensers I had difficulty seeing the syrup level due to lighting conditions ,I know the level is sort of self levelling but air bubbles in the handle section can result in the over filling of the dose section.
Clear fluid in a translucent container is difficult to discern in differing light conditions so I wondered if a drop of some kind of food colouring could be added , I don't think the amount required would alter the concentrate to any extent or harm the bees any more than the treatment it's self?
Any ideas?
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There are some berries which give strong coloration.

European billberry is such.

Yes ,that kind of thing .
I know OA is used as a bleach at a stronger concentration than bee treatment , I shall have to experiment to see how long the solution takes to bleach out the colouring !

VM

...I shall have to experiment to see how long the solution takes to bleach out the colouring...
The bleaching process is usually oxidation. So as the bleach works, the oxalic is being used and reducing concentration. It's another variable that might be best avoided.

An optically clearer version of the device might be better but I guess there's only one type available. A syringe is easier to see and quicker because you don't need to keep inverting it.

add some insulation tape to one side of container and syringe to give a contrasting colour might work

Now that is a good idea:) !
Although one syringe full per hive on average is indeed simpler .
VM

Latest posts

Back