oxalic acid and supers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpitt

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi

i started beekeeping last year and at the end of the year applied oxalic acid to the brood chamber as stated, i then put back one super and left the super with the bees over winter, the super is still with the bees some 8 months on (plus two more), will the honely in the super i put back with the bees last year be ok or will it be contaminated?????

Thank you

It will probably be alright, but this is one of the reasons for not overwintering with supers...

Last edited:
Hi

i started beekeeping last year and at the end of the year applied oxalic acid to the brood chamber as stated, i then put back one super and left the super with the bees over winter, the super is still with the bees some 8 months on (plus two more), will the honely in the super i put back with the bees last year be ok or will it be contaminated?????

Thank you

That question has been researshed very carefully and there is no problem.

I can see no particular reason why applying a treatment such as oxalic would make any diference to a super above. If there were anything we might need to know different than simply trickling 5ml down each seam of bees in the brood chamber, presumably while they were clustered in the brood box (and would have stayed there), you would have told us. There would be no addition of honey to this super, presumably. You are meaning the end of the calender year, not the end of the honey storing year?

Regards, RAB

Latest posts

Back