Overwintering queens in min nucs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madasafish

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
6 to 8 Langstroth jumbos, a few Langstroth and National nucs.
I had four surplus queens in mini nucs at the end of August 2017. I had read various articles about the difficulties of overwintering queens in mini nucs and our local Association veteran beekeeper had tried over the years and failed. As fools rush in where wise men fear to tread, I decided to try it. Previously the smallest hive I had overwintered any bees in successfully was a 5 frame nuc.

I selected three methods of overwintering:
1.a Kieler mini nuc with an extension with home made feeder in the top section and six bars in the lower.
2. A Bee Equipment double mating nuc with three frames either side and feeders for both colonies in the centre.
3. A home made poly mini nuc using 6 off Apidea/Rainbow mating nuc frames and a feeder mounted above the top bars. (I had no extension for the Apideas and being mean refused to spend c£18 for one.)

All mini nucs were fitted with a poly cover of 50mm celotex for the roof and 25mm for the sides. They were also fitted with a wooden cover board placed on top of the nuc to act as a rain/sun shield and to protect from damage to the poly cover from the ropes used to mount the hives on a floor attached to a free standing pole in the garden.

All feeders were fitted with QEs and each nuc (except the home made one) had a clear polythene sheet cover to enable feeding to take place without disturbing the bees- the BE one was divided in two to enable feeding of each side to take place independently of the other (in theory at least!)

The two colonies in the Bee Equipment nuc were strong enough I judged to overwinter, but I united the Kieler and home made nuc with Q- mini mating nucs with identical frames (using air freshener) to give a reasonable number of bees.
And fed fondant until they would take no more. The Kieler ended up weighing approx 1.25Kg, the BE approx 3Kg and the homemade approx. 0.9Kg.

Every 3-4 weeks I would quickly check and add fondant. I doubted the homemade would survive as it was weak.

Today was dry, sunny and little or no wind so I fed. All four colonies are still alive. The Kieler/BE colonies are strong and the homemade still weak - but alive.

Roll on March...

Pictures show Kieler, BE double mating nuc, cover and bees, and home made

Attachments

• IMG_0465.JPG
    IMG_0465.JPG
    134.7 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0456.JPG
    IMG_0456.JPG
    158.4 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0458.JPG
    IMG_0458.JPG
    152.5 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0457.JPG
    IMG_0457.JPG
    166.4 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0459.JPG
    IMG_0459.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0461.JPG
    IMG_0461.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0464.JPG
    IMG_0464.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
I had read various articles about the difficulties of overwintering queens in mini nucs

Really easy to do with almost zero losses and in small wooden boxes with minimal work, don't know why more people don't do it.

Last edited:
Really easy to do with almost zero losses and in small wooden boxes with minimal work, don't know why more people don't do it.

I'd like to try next winter. It's the queen raising bit that seems challenging, i.e. how and when to do it.

Nice job Madasafish.

I am bringing an apidea mating hive through winter..
They were so prolific in Sept that I put an apidea super above. They were too small to move on so I have nursed through, with it inside a polyhive for insulation. In this cold weather they are the first bees to emerge and locally fly. I have put a frame of food inside the Polyhive,and they are using it. Fingers crossed as the queen was laying well into Autumn, from my own stock. Keeps the fun in bee keeping. :cheers2:

Did it last winter with apedia and three apedia supers - came through well and the wee core group is now a strong colony/hive with same queen leading through this winter. Had a spare Q again this august in Apedia (double only) but failed just after Christmas -too small to withstand the freeze. Purchasing split polynuc for larger units this year - lesson learned. Great to have spare Qs for self or others in early season.

I'd like to try next winter. It's the queen raising bit that seems challenging, i.e. how and when to do it.

Nice job Madasafish.

That's what I thought until I had a go at grafting last year. No great problem at all. As all the books say, the most important thing is to keep to the time table. I used a cloake board. When to do it? when the bees do it - swarm season. Requeened all my production colonies, and also bringing six five frame nucs through the winter. I have a total of ten nucs all home made, and one brood box split into three. Ample for my needs. Being on standard frames I use the brood from the nucs to boost production colonies in the spring ready for the OSR crop.
Rather than challenging I found it fun, and it introduced a whole new dimension to my beekeeping. Hopefully my grafting technique will be even better this year having had some practice. Give it a go. If you do not fancy grafting there are even simpler techniques.

Nice one, thanks for the encouragement and advice. Will try it too then :)

I have started making half frames once I have these I'll start making diy boxes. Going to try different set ups and see what works best for me this year.

One of these days maybe

Way over my head but well done, all. Maybe something to try if I ever manage to master the basics (of beekeping, bell ringing, dog training, grandparenting, etc.)

Internal dimension of the ones used for over wintering are L 190mm W 190mm D 140mm, in fours.

Thats about 7 1/2" square and 5 1/2" deep - similar to a Mini Plus box.
How many boxes do you stack ontop? I have overwintered spare late queens in 2-3 box Mini Plus hives but these are poly, not wood.

Last edited:
I have started making half frames once I have these I'll start making diy boxes. Going to try different set ups and see what works best for me this year.

I have standardised on BE's double mating nuc frames for all future home made mating /overwintering nucs. Frames are : bottom bar 20.5cms x 16.0 cm wide.
5 frame nucs in either wood or poly.. With a poly telescoping cover. V easy to make - essential given my lack of skills and v cheap - approx £5 each.. And easy to site anywhere..

I looked at making a 4 hive nuc as per HM but my skills are not really up to it..

Quick question
Last year i had a double apidea brought through winter and well populated.
Whats the best way to take Q from this to transfer to new hive.???

You are there in south. Bees forage pollen in December and palms grow on beach.

He's not as far south as me. My bees forage pollen here in winter and we have palm trees, not on beach but very close.
S

Attachments

• Trebah Gardens.jpg
    Trebah Gardens.jpg
    372.5 KB · Views: 16
Quick question
Last year i had a double apidea brought through winter and well populated.
Whats the best way to take Q from this to transfer to new hive.???

Queen introduction cage to a Q- nuc.

"Best" is a weasel word really.

The safest way to go is to make a little super which takes (in my case) 4 super frames and let the bees up there and to start laying, then slip in an excluder to keep her up there. Once they are well on in the super then add another, and when all 8 frames are busy then they can be transfered to a super proper and then a brood box on top and so on.

KISS

PH

I had four surplus queens in mini nucs at the end of August 2017. I had read various articles about the difficulties of overwintering queens in mini nucs and our local Association veteran beekeeper had tried over the years and failed.

Mike, old thread I know, but did your queens come through last winter okay, if so which was the best nuc set up of the ones you used.

Latest posts

Back