Overwintering a nuc

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milkermel

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Got a lovely nuc coming on but it will only be five frames by end of season. Do people do anything to insulate colonies that are small to give them a better chance?? Considered moving it to my green house or poly tunnel for the winter. Or is it worth building some polystyrene around the nuc??

Wooden Nucs will survive, however there are good poly Nucs and there’s materials to make cosy coverings. Depends on what you have available or are capable of diy wise. Obviously all these options should be a benefit to small colonies.

Wooden Nucs will survive, however there are good poly Nucs and there’s materials to make cosy coverings. Depends on what you have available or are capable of diy wise. Obviously all these options should be a benefit to small colonies.
Thanks Ian nuc box is only a cheapy ply one hence part of my concern. They currently have 3 frames drawn out and last two are partly drawn. They are bringing in stores like made ATM the ivy is flowing. They are framing everything in and drawing out well. Just want to help them as much as possible. I have several old polystyrene sheets and boxes from frozen stuff so considered playing with that and building around nuc

3 frames is quite small can you maybe add a drawn frame with stores or even a little brood from another. If they don’t make 5 frames maybe poly insert/dummy. If you build a cosy try and ensure some space for fondant. Ensuring small colonies are in permanent contact with feed frames or fondant is a big plus.

3 frames is quite small can you maybe add a drawn frame with stores or even a little brood from another. If they don’t make 5 frames maybe poly insert/dummy. If you build a cosy try and ensure some space for fondant. Ensuring small colonies are in permanent contact with feed frames or fondant is a big plus.
The 3 frames are half brood half stores the other two frames are still getting drawn and about half full with stores as and a new queen this year so I'm hopeful I have fondant so will get that on once the ivy flow stops if the weather holds we probably have another month of flying down her in Cornwall.

All the sales will be coming in over the next couple of weeks so bid your time and buy from anyone that fits your budget.

All the sales will be coming in over the next couple of weeks so bid your time and buy from anyone that fits your budget.
Budget isn't a big deal tbh I have two years of cancelled holidays spending money 🤪 never thought about a poly hive tbh as our winters aren't usually harsh in Cornwall but if they are worth getting then I would consider a polyhive to help them along.

Yup, if their viable then a couple of feeds in a poly nuc and they'd be up to six frames before winter.
Small colonies draw foundation and expand much easier in the cosiness of a poly. I sometimes close off the ventilated floor with a correx shape cut out to fit tightly to make them even snugger.

Yup, if their viable then a couple of feeds in a poly nuc and they'd be up to six frames before winter.
Small colonies draw foundation and expand much easier in the cosiness of a poly. I sometimes close off the ventilated floor with a correx shape cut out to fit tightly to make them even snugger.
Yes I like that idea.
I have stan making some solid floors for the poly nucs I bought in Maisie’s sale

I’ll vouch for these I think there great Poly Nucs + Parts - Poly Products There normally a few pounds cheaper than maismores but they have a slight edge in the current sale. Thornes do some cheap 1s but there a reall pain in arse with unnecessary bits that fall out and an incorrect bee space that leads to brace comb between side bars and wall. Ian

Last edited:
Maisemore have a sale on. Their poly nucs are good.
I have 5 nucs currently - 3 are in Maisemore poly nucs and doing well those in wooden ones a little bit behind. my first year using poly nucs and really impressed with them. i also bought as BS nuc on a whim and super impressed with that! sales are on and going to get a couple more Maisies. A worthwhile investment and highly recommend (y) 🐝 🐝

We do the same, but drop a sheet inside so it doesn’t get dislodged by wind or whatever, its hard to do retrospectively, I have few nucs from USA that have no vents just a 40mm ish opening about 150mm from the floor, a real cozy box :), what the Americans do is cover the bottom with straw or twigs then pour in syrup :confused:

I’ll vouch for these I think there great Poly Nucs + Parts - Poly Products There normally a few pounds cheaper than maismores but they have a slight edge in the current sale. Thornes do some cheap 1s but there a reall pain in arse with unnecessary bits that fall out and an incorrect bee space that leads to brace comb between side bars and wall. Ian
Thanks Ian they look the dogs

Thanks Ian they look the dogs
Don’t bother using them as doubles though the simple plastic divider is rubbish. In all other respects there good. I’ve also made up some travel screens for mine, for when making up and moving.

Don’t bother using them as doubles though the simple plastic divider is rubbish. In all other respects there good. I’ve also made up some travel screens for mine, for when making up and moving.
Having never used polys are they any good as bait boxes, we really struggled wit lifting down a bait box last night. Wondering if a poly hive would work as a bait hive. Owner hadn't seen the swarm arrive luckily hubby spotted it a few months along but was a mother 8 weeks before I could collect and it was a 20kg over head lift for hubby on a ladder 🤣. He's got brucey bonus for that success 😂

Having never used polys are they any good as bait boxes, we really struggled wit lifting down a bait box last night. Wondering if a poly hive would work as a bait hive. Owner hadn't seen the swarm arrive luckily hubby spotted it a few months along but was a mother 8 weeks before I could collect and it was a 20kg over head lift for hubby on a ladder 🤣. He's got brucey bonus for that success 😂
get a paynes poly nuc and cut out the internal feeder

Yes you could use them as bait boxes but in an ideal world and if you go by the research there probably a little on the small side. In regards to height for position just put them lower, flat shed roofs or garage. The top of fence posts is perfectly good. Just make them easy to get to no need to climb!!

:iagree:
I use 14x12 Paynes poly hives, feeder cut out, with a mesh floor blocked off with an insert. Removing the insert the box can be a permanent home for the swarm till it’s big enough for a full size hive I put two in my potting shed roof and in 10 years they have never failed. I paint the inside with propolis and reduce the UFE to a couple of bee spaces

Back