Overwintering 14x12

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
What is the best format/method for overwintering 14x12s. I don't think they need additional room for stores - but what should I do with part filled supers? Thanks.

As long as the honey/nectar is not falling out your part filled frames, just extract them!! You can also test a couple with a refractor as well if you wish.

Thanks Ian. I take it this means that on the whole 14x12 BB is large enough to have sufficient stores for winter? I'm sure this is what I read on the forum at somewhere and that supers should come off? So, should I take these off within the next week or 2 and let them store/collect whatever they need after this and check the weights. I guess there is pretty much only ivy left to come now.
I've only managed a tbh through last winter, so could do with some guidance on the 14x12.
My mentor doesn't run them unfortunately.

Your 14x12 should be able to contain more than enough stores for the vast majority of colonies. You’ll have to judge when to start feeding when your supers come off, some big colonies will have rammed the broods with pollen and brood so may require a little earlier feeding. Don’t be afraid to look in whilst feeding you can push empty or part filled frames up against the brood area and encourage them to fill with honey/feed or brood.

Any frames in supers I’ve not extracted I put under the main 14x12 brood box. Leave on for just a few days for them to sort it out… you could always just store the supers over winter “wet” I.e uncleared by the bees. Then inspect the brood box, I’ll look for about 4 frames of stores, if not I’ll put a fondant on when I do my varroa treatment. Last year my Bees on 14x12 ate x2 full frames of food through winter, but your Bees will be different and eat differing amounts, but don’t worry about having to keep a super of honey on, more than enough space in the hive, just make sure they have filled enough stores frames.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I haven't looked in the BB for a few weeks to be honest but I'll sort this out before the Ivy starts if we ever get any rain down here!

Latest posts

Back