Overwintered virgin

Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
None of my own
Apologies in advance for what I'm sure is a standard daft newbeek question :dupe:, but if a new hatched queen fails to mate due to drone shortage (or anything else), do the colony eventually accept her or supercede - and does this depend on the time of year?

If she survives the winter, will she have another go at mating in the spring?

oliver90owner 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
As title, drone layer! Not a lot of point superceding if no drones!

The is an 'age window' for mating, no different for the winter. She would be a DLQ by the spring.

RAB

margob99 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I'm faced with a potentially similar problem, but I didn't understand a word of your reply, oliver90owner!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
None of my own
Margot - DLQ= Drone Laying Queen, in other words not a lot of use to man nor beast. RAB was saying that if she doesnt mate within a certain period of time, she never will and will just produce drones.

Thanks RAB - quick follow-up - is a queens presence necessary for a colonys survival over-winter? I can see that it is extreamly desirable for a quick start in spring

BTW - all hypothetical questions, so no background given

Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
None of my own
Thanks RAB - quick follow-up - is a queens presence necessary for a colonys survival over-winter? I can see that it is extreamly desirable for a quick start in spring
Just occurred to me (must learn to engage brain before typing) that this would lead to drone laying workers, again very undesirable I imagine.

Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Number of Hives
0 - Now in beeless retirement!
You will find if you have drones in the hive if when you open them up for a winter dose of oxalic acid you see them wondering around the top bars as I have. The queen, previously fine, had started laying drones and the colony simply dwindled away and was dead by the Spring.

oliver90owner 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Queens do disappear over winter resulting in Q- colonies in springtime. When and how is debatable, but nevertheless the colony is still going in spring. That is one reason why a lot of experienced beeks recommend the replacement of older queens with young queens in the autumn - because they are less likely to be a winter casualty.

Uniting (with relevant regard to laying workers) would be the likely quick fix in the springtime.

RAB

thurrock bees 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
A virgin Queen has TWO weeks to mate or she will become a dud i.e. a drone layer. Better the gether mated if you can kill her as she is no use to anyone.

Finman 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
A virgin Queen has TWO weeks to mate or she will become a dud i.e. a drone layer. Better the gether mated if you can kill her as she is no use to anyone.
it is 4 weeks.

A hive wiil winter normally without queen. I have made this when the hive has killed 4 queen in autumn. Often the queen disapear totally during winter.

Latest posts