Overwintered Stores

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beemanbunty

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi Beeks, do I leave on the supers that are still full with overwintered stores (sugar syrup) in April? will the bees use them? As I do not want to extract sugar syrup. I was concerned about space for them to store nectar for honey, so that I can harvest honey at the end of the season. Thanks for any advice.

I wouldn’t. The syrup will end up in your honey
You can always keep the frames for feeding in a dearth.

Yes, but if I leave them on won't the bees use the stores to feed on? Will it not be beneficial for them? as I only harvest honey in September.

The spring flow will start over the next 2-3 weeks and if you leave these supers on bees will store nectar in the brood nest or wherever they can increasing swarming potential. They will also prefer feeding on honey than sugar syrup and you will end-up mixing both, especially if you plan to leave them until September! I would remove the super and store as suggested for dearth.

The spring flow will start over the next 2-3 weeks and if you leave these supers on bees will store nectar in the brood nest or wherever they can increasing swarming potential. They will also prefer feeding on honey than sugar syrup and you will end-up mixing both, especially if you plan to leave them until September! I would remove the super and store as suggested for dearth.
Fair enough..makes sense, cheers!

Yes, but if I leave them on won't the bees use the stores to feed on
As they used to say in the RN - stores are meant for storing, not using - If there is fresh food out there, they will use that in preference to the stores already in the hive, and just add the surplus coming in to it. you always need to get the levels of sugar feeding stores down to the bare minimum in time for the nectar flow.

If it's capped I would leave them in a sealed super so ants and others won't get to it
:iagree: take both supers off, cap them top and bottom with a blank board, cinch them up with two ratchet straps and put them in a shelter somewhere until needed

Back