Overwintered nucs- warning for space

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
24 + a few nucs....this has to stop!
Hi all, as a heads up I went to check some of my overwintered nucs in 1 of my apiary and had to put 5 in full size hives as they all had 5- 5 1/2 frames of brood and every cell was used. The 2 others had dble brood so were ok although I removed a frame of capped stores and gave them foundation.
I live in South Wales, not exactly tropical (although the few natives here will argue they are exotic) but all colonies are now ramping up production.

Hi all, as a heads up I went to check some of my overwintered nucs in 1 of my apiary and had to put 5 in full size hives as they all had 5- 5 1/2 frames of brood and every cell was used. The 2 others had dble brood so were ok although I removed a frame of capped stores and gave them foundation.
I live in South Wales, not exactly tropical (although the few natives here will argue they are exotic) but all colonies are now ramping up production.

Good advice

I have stopped overwintering anything in single-storey nucs due to experiencing this problem in the past - by the time it's warm enough to inspect they can easily have outgrown 6 frames. Everything is 2 or 3 storeys now, going into winter.

I have four to move on and I'm dreading what I'm going to find. Sunday with a bit of luck

Good advice

I have stopped overwintering anything in single-storey nucs due to experiencing this problem in the past - by the time it's warm enough to inspect they can easily have outgrown 6 frames. Everything is 2 or 3 storeys now, going into winter.
Yes, strong ones usually have dble but these were started early August as 3 frames so didn't want to give them too much unused space.

@Erichalfbee I did spot a fair bit of drone brood as well, get on the case!!

I live in South Wales
But you live on Gower, not only as some would say a different country, but probably a different planet? :biggrinjester:
I've actually had hives in my apiaries here ticking along on four five frames of brood, but at the same time, hives at the apiary at Penllergaer but a stones throw from you bursting at the seams and on the point of swarming

But you live on Gower, not only as some would say a different country, but probably a different planet? :biggrinjester:
I've actually had hives in my apiaries here ticking along on four five frames of brood, but at the same time, hives at the apiary at Penllergaer but a stones throw from you bursting at the seams and on the point of swarming
🤣 We are blessed by the warm air from the Steelworks in Port Talbot and an influx of outsiders.....all the ingredients for a special place. At least unlike the far corners of mid-Wales we have more than one surname in the area 🤣

We are blessed by the warm air from the Steelworks in Port Talbot
And the gulf stream effect of the sewage from Amanford sewage works flowing down the Loughor and out to sea
At least unlike the far corners of mid-Wales we have more than one surname in the area
we have plenty of surnames - just not too many grandmothers to go around

And the gulf stream effect of the sewage from Amanford sewage works flowing down the Loughor and out to sea

we have plenty of surnames - just not too many grandmothers to go around
Ha yes, I surf down Sker in a water which taste metallic and surf down llangenith dodging sanitary towels and god knows what else....a real paradise!!

Ha yes, I surf down Sker in a water which taste metallic and surf down llangenith dodging sanitary towels and god knows what else....a real paradise!!
it's not swimming - more like going through the motions. I remember patrolling from Swansea to Milford years ago and the skipper suggested we pop our nose into the Loughor as a favour to me (!) seeing the tide had just topped high water, as we approached Whiteford we were met by a mile long stream of sanitary towels, scraps of sh!t tickets, condoms and the occasional toilet trout

Last edited:
it's not swimming - more like going through the motions. I remember patrolling from Swansea to Milford years ago and the skipper suggested we pop our nose into the Loughor as a favour to me (!) seeing the tide had just topped high water, as we approached Whiteford we were met by a mile long stream of sanitary towels, scraps of sh!t tickets, condoms and the occasional toilet trout

I was diving somewhere off the south coast some years back, perhaps near Swanage or maybe West Bay. I've never seen Spider Crabs as big as the ones that lived near the sewage outflow.

James

I've a few single brood going onto double ASAP.
Some of my strong nucs had extentions when the weather was good underneath.
I also noticed lots of drone brood to.

Latest posts

Back