Overwinter queens in mini Nuc

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezd

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
Anyone ever tried overwintering queens in mini nucs?

Just curious :)

Jez

Hi Jezd.

It says on Rooftops site that you can overwinter Kielers if they have enough stores but i can`t give you any advice as i`m having enough trouble over summering them, lol.

Darren.

Hi Jezd.

It says on Rooftops site that you can overwinter Kielers if they have enough stores but i can`t give you any advice as i`m having enough trouble over summering them, lol.

Darren.

I imagine feeding is going to be the main issue, they seem to use so much sugar up so fast.

depends on the type of mininuc, i am going to try kielers single storey, keilers double storey and apidea with queen excluder removed in feeder tray, kieler twin storey looks favourite but feeder has to stay in lower box as its too deep to go up top unless a timber one is made, an experiment and if it works queens next spring!!!

Keilers are too small to over winter. At the least they will need some sort of extra top feed space.

PH

I was thinking of making a feeder to go in the top section so the hive becomes 8 frames(2x4frames and two feeders one on each level, big problem will be re-filling bottom feeder, other option is 6 frames in the bottom and a larger top feeder, I am also trying to thymolise fondant, if anyone has any ideas?!!!!!!
kev

Keilers are too small to over winter. At the least they will need some sort of extra top feed space.

PH

I would've thought that too, but it's not the case.

I have seen queens overwintered in keilers, so will be trying it myself this winter.
Although unlike the ones I've seen overwinter, I will be putting at least one super on them.

I over wintered a crap queen in a 3 frame swi-bine (same as apidea)last winter,queen never mated....but they survived until march, and am sure if the queen had been good they would of made it no problem....but would of needed more feed. Going to over winter some six frame kielers this comming winter...with just a shallow eke for feed...see how this works just out of interest.

How many colonies do you have hivemaker? it doesn't show on my laptop.....bet it's loads. Just being nosey, hope you don't mind ;)

Several....if not more..lol.....if i told you i'd have to kill you.

Please remember location in these comments. I failed dismally in Aberdeenshire to overwinter minis. London is another ball game totally.

I know I mention climate frequently but in the UK we have not only a Maritime climate but a vast number of mini climates.

I think I may try an experiment............

PH

I overwintered 4 tiny colonies in apideas last winter, only one succumbed in march this year....caused by blimmin mice chewing through the case!!!

All mine have apidea supers and a feeder on, this gives 10 frames in each and allows for around a kilo of fondant to be slapped in the top feeder. These feeders also make it easy to feed in colder weather without disturbing the colony too much.

Out of these I took two on to full sized colonies...more out of curiousity than anything else.

Latest posts

Back