Overwinter pallets

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foxylad

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Planning on overwintering on pallets this year. Four to a pallet, each entrance running off a different corner.
The idea was that my hives would be protected on two sides.
I have in the past overwintered on double hive stands. But this year I have been using pallets in my out apiaries. I’m due to move some bees back next week.

Question is with the four to a pallet configuration. Adding and removing the varroa tray would be extremely awkward. As I will not have access to any of the back of the hives. I have a mix of solid wooden trays and correx. Anyone else use pallets overwinter? If so how do you add and remove the tray?

90% of ours winter on pallets, plastic on bottom then timber.
No issues with inserts as all solid floors, which doesn't help you sorry.
Don't monitor varroa, treat with apitraz, apistan etc on rotation in autumn & oxalic strips in spring.

Planning on overwintering on pallets this year. Four to a pallet, each entrance running off a different corner.
The idea was that my hives would be protected on two sides.
I have in the past overwintered on double hive stands. But this year I have been using pallets in my out apiaries. I’m due to move some bees back next week.

Question is with the four to a pallet configuration. Adding and removing the varroa tray would be extremely awkward. As I will not have access to any of the back of the hives. I have a mix of solid wooden trays and correx. Anyone else use pallets overwinter? If so how do you add and remove the tray?
I don't remove the trays and don't do counts. I treat for mites all at the same time and every hive gets a dose. Lift the hives off to clean and replace the boards. I leave them on to cut down on harsh conditions in the winter. I find leaving them on gives the ventilation but it's not too harsh as long as I insulate on exposed apiary sites

I plan to winter on pallets two High as to keep them of the ground more
90% of ours winter on pallets, plastic on bottom then timber.
No issues with inserts as all solid floors, which doesn't help you sorry.
Don't monitor varroa, treat with apitraz, apistan etc on rotation in autumn & oxalic strips in spring.
OA strips in the autumn instead?

Pallets can rot quite quickly.
A problem more in the summer as supers go on and then a strip of wood snaps when you are not there to see the hive tumble over. :(

Ours were free, ish. Cost us £60 diesel
Found 75 on Facebook, just needed collecting, ex pharmaceutical.

Back