Overflowing BB

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5...2 wooden National, 2 poly Nat & 1 poly nuc...bursting at the seams
Thought you might like to see the following images of my girls. They were overflowing so 10 days ago I gave tham a 1/2 BB extension, fresh foundation - sprayed with sugar water etc. What do they do ? Nothing...no that's a lie...they ignored it. The frame shown is the only one with any space left!

Can't help with your problem, just wanted to say.....nice bees :) very pretty.

This time of year may not be ideal for placing a super of foundation on, do you have any supers of honey on? If not and as this is going to be part of the brood box you could feed them to encourage them to draw out the foundation, also it would be worth scratching the cappings of the sealed honey in the lower brood box so that they might store it in the upper box where idealy it should be. This would make a good setup fo winter, also if you want to winter on BB and a Half (as I do) no QX is used.

If the flow in your area is still strong and you want a honey crop of sorts, then don't feed.

In beekeeping, there are so many ways and methods that no two beekeepers have the same opinion, that what makes it challenging, good fun though.

Enzo

You would have possibly been better to offer just a frame of foundation either side of the brood with a dummy or divider in place, rather than all those extra frames.

Regards, RAB

I don't expect to get honey this year, although the way the girls are working I take it the flow is still going well. I just want to make sure that they get through the winter! I have put a feeder on - did it Saturday, and will check if it has had any effect, I tried scratching the coverings...they repaired them...

Sorry RAB, could you explain a bit more? My BB is full of brood on frames - would I take some of those away to make room or am I misunderstanding? Or do you mean put a couple in the BB, then move them up before they can lay in them?

No, I meant put a frame of foundation either side of the brood nest with a dummy or divider behind (or at the side) rather than adding an extra 5 or 6 frames all at once.

Poly Hive would probably say 'bang a frame in right in the middle of the nest'. I don't do it that way. You only need to take away one frame - to make enough space for the dummy or divider.

Not sure what effect a feeder will have if they are bringing in forage left, right and centre.

Regards, RAB

Oh right I get it! I just had a look and they have taken from the feeder, although there is a bit left - and have started to draw about 4 frames in the centre of the 1/2 BB. Only had a quick look, as inspection isn't until Saturday really but at least they are starting to move up.

Most sources say bees overwinter better on a brood and a half and don't want to be a non-beek in January!! Go girls!!

Queens59. Many sources say that brood and a half is a pain and double brood is better!

I find a 14 x 12 just about right to over-winter on one tier. That's with an OMF.

Regards, RAB

I have two 14 x 12's the rest are standard 14 x 8.5's. Some in WBC's some in Nats and two in 16 frame nats. I'm still not sure about the bigger size though!

here is a hive with 3 supers on and bursting with bees. i gave them another super to give them space , but i dont expect them to put anything in the super. i am moving them to the heather as soon as it come in. i think its going to be early this year

Heathers early here Keith....been in flower for over a week now.

Stephen

A full brood box. Don't mind if I have to put in an insulated dummy at one end, as 20kgs is enough most of the time. If it is all proper honey there is no problem at all with what is left over in the spring.

Regards, RAB

Latest posts

Back