Overcrowded nuc wants to swarm, clipped queen in grass - advice pls

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dc197

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all
On Tuesday I split my busiest colony, using a 5-frame nuc for the fliers on the old site and moving the old hive to the side.
I underestimated how many fliers there were and the nuc is bursting at the seams, in the evening you can see bees almost falling out of the entrance.
Today I went to feed and by a stroke of luck I saw the clipped queen on the grass in front of the nuc. I put her back in.
I guess that the fliers want to move to a bigger house due to the overcrowding - would you concur?
I do not have another brood box and floor but I do have some supers that I could use temporarily as a bigger hive. Would you recommend this, or something else, please?
Thanks

supers will do ,i would use 2 ,to be safe.Use anything you
can find that will act as a roof and a floor until you get it
sorted properly.Just make sure you prop up the bottom for a entrance of some type.

Why did you split them? Were there queen cells? Without a spare broodbox you are making trouble for yourself, a nuc isn't big enough for an operation like this.

Swarm, I split them because they were desperate to reproduce. I'd removed queen cells two weeks prior and now it was time to artificially swarm. Lesson learned about size.

Where in bucks are you if not too far you can grab a spare brood box from me if it gets you out of trouble

5 frame colony is minimum size hive.
You cannot split it.
They will swarm again and you loose the laying queen.

Make a false swarm:

Put a foundation hive on the site.put there a queen. and one larva frame and one food frame.
Then put the brood nuc over that hive and a mesh of board between colonies that they warm up each others.

After 7 days join the hives.

your not but 15 mins from me then. i'm out near mersley village. if need anything equipment or help just let me know.

Latest posts

Back