Over winter brood and super

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandysman

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3+
When over wintering with a brood and super, what are your thoughts about the super. Do you place it at 90degrees to the brood box to make it easier to remove in the spring or in line so all the frames run in the same direction? I have seen both done but wondered what the consensus is on the forum.
Andy

in line so all the frames run in the same direction

At right angles under the bb with the super frames side to side! You asked! Two different answers already!
The reason I do it is when the super is empty I remove it, as this is usually on a cold day I don't want all the frames sticking, I just want to crack the bb off the super and lift it clear in one easy movement
E

Last edited:
if i were doing it i'd do it cross ways too.
remember super frame spacing often not same as BB so lots of opportunity for brace comb.

Super under BB, all frames parallel. Never heard of putting super at 90 degs - but then I can't remember ever having difficulty removing super because of frames sticking.
I might try half my hives with each method in a couple of weeks

Hi enrico and drstitson,
Glad you both recommend nadiring the super, as I got an impression from the forum that putting it on top caused winter losses this year!

'Caused' is a strong word .... Calculated guess sounds better!
I have used both methods with no losses but the one I described suits my beekeeping methods best!

Enrico, that's exactly why I asked, to get all the differing opinions.
It's good to talk.
A

And yet in the latest BBKA mag, the expert recommended putting the super above as the bees "go up to feed". I put mine below last year simply to prevent the queen laying in it in spring if was late getting it off and, as has been said here, ease of removal when empty. It is a bit confusing to get differing answers, but surely something as basic as this should get a yes or no to up or under?

:hairpull:

And yet in the latest BBKA mag, the expert recommended putting the super above as the bees "go up to feed". I put mine below last year simply to prevent the queen laying in it in spring if was late getting it off and, as has been said here, ease of removal when empty. It is a bit confusing to get differing answers, but surely something as basic as this should get a yes or no to up or under?

Beekeeping would be a boring hobby if all the manipulations were set in tablets of stone.

Don't you believe it! My answer is neither - as I am happy with just the brood box for winter stores!

Changing to 14x12 brood boxes resolves these issues but you might have to remove frames of capped honey for more brood space this time of year (this year)

Why?
Cazza

Changing to 14x12 brood boxes resolves these issues but you might have to remove frames of capped honey for more brood space this time of year (this year)

Heh, I'm a first year beek but having opted to over-winter my colonies on a standard national with a super below and I've already become irritated with the frames sticking together and not 'settling' nicely when rebuilding the hive.

Hence, I ordered 2 14 x 12's yesterday.

Out of interest did the National dimensions evolve along with the less fecund British queens?

I hope you are not thinking of using the 14x12's this year! ;)

presumably just taking advantage of the sales!

NB a Smart fortwo can take 6 complete flatpacked 14x12 set-ups plus a load of other odds and sods.

Back