Outside storage

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black Comb

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
10+
I'm going to have to store empty supers and brood boxes (cedar) outside.
Presumably a stack with a roof on shielded from wind will be best.

Any suggestions / advice on this gratefully received.

Make a little lean-to to keep the rain off.

I bought one of those plastic garden stores with a hinged lid. It was only £20 from the large diy outlet. It has loads of room. I store my spare supers, a nuc and a spare brood box in it

probably best way to store them is on an OMF floor and stand with crown board & roof on top and a nice healthy colony of bees inside to do the housekeeping for you!!!

Garden Store

I bought one of those plastic garden stores with a hinged lid. It was only £20 from the large diy outlet. It has loads of room. I store my spare supers, a nuc and a spare brood box in it
Hi
Where from? is the price correct?
Regards
TBRNoTB

I bought it from b and q about three weeks ago.It was £20. It looks like a big oblong box with a hinged lid on the top. It's not the type that looks like a wardrobe.

thurrock bees

supers - on top of the brood box and full of stores so the bees are very well supplied over winter ;-)

all mine are hives have a super each, but i still have app 30 supers stacked up. so im building a large shed to place them in,

all mine are hives have a super each, but i still have app 30 supers stacked up. so im building a large shed to place them in,
With so many supers, make sure you rotate their use ! I thought supers were immune to wax moth damage but found to my cost that (after a couple of poor seasons )that supers stored in a nice warm dry shed ,proved ideal for wax moth to prosper !. Outside under a leanto is best, wind blowing through plus night frosts see off the wax moth ok . I used to treat with acetic acid, I still have a quantity of same so after my disaster (24 super ruined) I intend resuming the practice :eek:

John Wilkinson

With so many supers, make sure you rotate their use ! I thought supers were immune to wax moth damage but found to my cost that (after a couple of poor seasons )that supers stored in a nice warm dry shed ,proved ideal for wax moth to prosper !. Outside under a leanto is best, wind blowing through plus night frosts see off the wax moth ok . I used to treat with acetic acid, I still have a quantity of same so after my disaster (24 super ruined) I intend resuming the practice :eek:

John Wilkinson

A cycle through the freezer kills the wax moth off.

With so many supers, make sure you rotate their use ! I thought supers were immune to wax moth damage but found to my cost that (after a couple of poor seasons )that supers stored in a nice warm dry shed ,proved ideal for wax moth to prosper !. Outside under a leanto is best, wind blowing through plus night frosts see off the wax moth ok . I used to treat with acetic acid, I still have a quantity of same so after my disaster (24 super ruined) I intend resuming the practice

What kind of damage do the wax moths do to the supers?
I thought they only attacked the wax/frames?

What kind of damage do the wax moths do to the supers?
I thought they only attacked the wax/frames?

So did I but it's a case of "When needs must the devil drives",
It's the wax/frames I'm talking about. not the wooden structure !!!

John Wilkinson

Remember freezing kills and moth/larvae that are present at that time BUT if you then stack them without sealing ALL the joints the dreaded moth will re-infest.

Been there, got lots of T shirts:D

Latest posts

Back