outdoor work-bench

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too hot for that foundation sat in the full sun I reckon :)

John Wilkinson

Too hot for that foundation sat in the full sun I reckon :)

John Wilkinson

yes, , ,did exactlywhat tonybloke did today sat in the garden to make frames....but on my patio table, set it all out, made a cup of tea...came back .corrugated foundation, it have slumped into the slats of the table

Wifee suggested i iron it :willy_nilly:

Sorry that photo is not right not right at all its missing a cold glass of beer

The dry weather is beginning to have an effect on the flora here in the north West .
The balsam is going over save that which has its' feet directly in water :(.

John Wilkinson

Women, can't live with em, can't live without em..they'll iron anything if it sits still long enough. Lol.

Do you wire frames in the UK? I don't see any in that picture - thought at first it was something to do with the black and grey thing at the top left but then blew the pic up an drealized that was a radio.
If you do how is done? End bar to end bar or top bar to bottom bar? or a combination. I'ma assuming those frames are honey suppers frames and without wiring them I can't see how you would spin extract them.

I'ma assuming those frames are honey suppers frames and without wiring them I can't see how you would spin extract them.

No they have wire in, you can see the three points on the edge of the wax.

Tony that’s getting a bit technical with a square being used! Do you not trust the manufacturing tolerances of the frame makers

Last edited:
Yes we wire frames, however sometimes we use thin unwired foundation to produce cut comb honey :).

John Wilkinson

Blow the picture up again and you will see that the foundation is pre-wired :).

John Wilkinson

This year to produce cut comb honey I have slipped in frames with no foundation within Drawn frames and its great to see the bees fill in the frames surprisingly the cells are of different sizes across the frame.
And most importantly to me no re cycled foundation to eat.

Does the top bar have a removeable wedge so the foundation sits on the solid part of the bar and the wedge is nailed thru the expose wire v's? That actually looks stronger than the crimp wired foundation I was using today where I also ran 2 strands of wire side to side one either side of the foundation. Have to admit I gave up with the hammer approach and am now using a pneumatic stapler. Managed to turn out 200 this afternoon, in the basement as it's hot enough outside to liquify foundation if you leave it expose to the sun.

This year to produce cut comb honey I have slipped in frames with no foundation within Drawn frames and its great to see the bees fill in the frames surprisingly the cells are of different sizes across the frame.
And most importantly to me no re cycled foundation to eat.

Do you use starter strips to get them to draw the empty frames?

If it was new frames then yes a starter strip but this was last years cut comb frames just cleaned and scrubbed and put back in. I have to say it looks fantastic I dont think you will get away with a full super as you may get odd shapes but mixed in with drawn frames its all looking good.

Does the top bar have a removeable wedge so the foundation sits on the solid part of the bar and the wedge is nailed thru the expose wire v's? That actually looks stronger than the crimp wired foundation I was using today where I also ran 2 strands of wire side to side one either side of the foundation. Have to admit I gave up with the hammer approach and am now using a pneumatic stapler. Managed to turn out 200 this afternoon, in the basement as it's hot enough outside to liquify foundation if you leave it expose to the sun.

yes a removable wedge, and then nailed back through the Vs that are bent thruough 90 degrees, so the wedge both hold the wire and compresses the wax foundation. The bottom wire has smaller Vs that sit between the bottom bars

you can still buy loose frame wire and unwire wax, but not many do, i have done it and embeded to wire in the wax with a roller slightly heated, but dont do it any more

Last edited:
If it was new frames then yes a starter strip but this was last years cut comb frames just cleaned and scrubbed and put back in. I have to say it looks fantastic I dont think you will get away with a full super as you may get odd shapes but mixed in with drawn frames its all looking good.
If my girls ever work out how to pull supers I'll try that ! I hate the idea of the foundation in the middle!

Yes go for it no re cycled wax and a reasonable natural comb in other quarters people may charge more for that.

Its something new beekeepers should know about this weather, I had a super of new foundation along with others in my L rover by the time I got to the site and to the hive needing new foundation to work, the lot had slumped to the bottom of the frames and that was out of direct sun under a Ivor Williams top.Oh well start again.
kev

Latest posts

Back