Outdoor weather station

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black Comb

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
10+
Looking to buy one so if anyone can recommend a brand / type will be grateful.

Peter

I have to ask what for?

There are millions of pounds worth of equipment deployed to give us forecasts. Further no forecast is a promise. Esp in our climate, and after 28 years at sea I has a bit of experience. 100 ft wave.. oh yes they make a lot of spray when they hit you. ;)

A high low thermometer is about as useful as anything, the rest... gadgets.

PH

I have to ask what for?

There are millions of pounds worth of equipment deployed to give us forecasts. Further no forecast is a promise. Esp in our climate, and after 28 years at sea I has a bit of experience. 100 ft wave.. oh yes they make a lot of spray when they hit you. ;)

PH

all i have is a 99p large plastic garden thermometer from Wilkinsons to tell me it is too cold to open up, but generally i dont need to loooooook ;)

Last edited:
Once had a book (loaned it , never returned ) that suggested that the UK was affected by no less than nine major air streams ,rendering accurate forecasting almost zilch!

John Wilkinson

What for?
A Christmas present and whenever did logic enter into the purchasing of these?

Still looking for suggestions.

Does your local Lidels have any in stock ?
If not I always look for science museum stuff as it seems good.

I have and oregon weather station with wireless outdoor units.

You cant go wrong with Oregon

http://www.oregonscientific.co.uk/cat-weather.html

:iagree:

I have had an Oregon wireless kit for about 6 years now and I use it every day.

Given the option to buy again, I would buy the one that connects to your PC. With this you can also broadcast your weather station data on a web page and it saves all the old data.

Yours Roy

Yes, Oregon... I agree.
There is a sublime to ridiculous range. I have a simple one but would love the whole shebang with an anenometer and precip guage :)

:iagree:

I would buy the one that connects to your PC. With this you can also broadcast your weather station data on a web page and it saves all the old data.

I have this unit

http://www.weather-station-store.co.uk/Oregon WMR928NX Weather Station.htm

that you can connect to a pc, but never got round to doing it.

We have the main unit in the hallway and look at it most times we walk past, very intresting, especialy with the cold weather, checking the units memory for maximum lows temps etc.

My outdoor thermometer packed up a few months back, but oregon still make it for them.

My unit is about 5 years old, and I would not be without one..

I have this unit

http://www.weather-station-store.co.uk/Oregon WMR928NX Weather Station.htm

that you can connect to a pc, but never got round to doing it.

We have the main unit in the hallway and look at it most times we walk past, very intresting, especialy with the cold weather, checking the units memory for maximum lows temps etc.

My outdoor thermometer packed up a few months back, but oregon still make it for them.

My unit is about 5 years old, and I would not be without one..

That's the one I would like to get....................mine is the older version of this one

http://tinyurl.com/38o5zb2

Yours Roy

Looking to buy one so if anyone can recommend a brand / type will be grateful.

Peter

Actually, I have been considering one, but my apiary (ahem, I mean one hive) is about a quarter of a mile away. Anything out there I can access/read from home?

I have to ask what for?

PH

Yep, got me one of those, but don't get over there much in the week, so am looking for more info.

I have the Oregon WMR928. It works fine but doesn't have a datalogger so you have to leave the PC on 24/7 unless you don't mind losing overnight data.

I use Cumulus software http://sandaysoft.com/ as it is free and it has a "clean" appearance. Some of the programs that come with the units are complicated and have messy screens.

I have just a old brass barometer,coupled with looking out the window,seems to be reasonably accurate.

:iagree: This is very true and usually extremely accurate

All very well if your apiary experiences the same microclimate. Mine doesn't from that I experience at Home, despite being sop close to eachother.

All very well if your apiary experiences the same microclimate. Mine doesn't from that I experience at Home, despite being sop close to eachother.

Not much point you using up valuable energy to look out of the window to see if it's raining then.

Latest posts

Back