Out Apiary Rent

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sussex Bees

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I've recently approached a friendly farmer who seems happy for me to place an out apiary on his land, we are going to look at potential locations next week.

My question is, how much rent do people pay for their out apiaries?

If it a farm with orchards, beans, raspberry's etc, free. If its not look for one that has.

Pete

Never had to pay cash to anyone thankfully.
I generally give about half a dozen jars of honey over the year and a nice Christmas present of candles and hand cream etc.
Cheers
S

He doesn't grow crops, it is mainly meadows and the land is surrounded by well established gardens.

I already rent one of his outbuildings as a workshop, so it would be very convenient for inspections etc.

Couple of farmers here invited us to put a hive on their farms. So, its up to you really.

Traditional rent is 1lb honey per hive per year. Which seemed a bit light to me (unless running 100 hives!) so I supplemented my payment with a bottle of malt and a box of chocs at Christmas (and a bit more honey).

I have this year the use of some out apiaries, courtesy of a local farmer. I am planning to pay him in jars of honey, dependent on the number of hives I end up putting on his land and my honey crop. He is an arable farmer so I guess he will benefit from pollination on any of his crops that the bees visit.

I have also offered to show him or his children the bees during an inspection as I have spare beesuits in various sizes.

i give the farmer 4 jars per harvest ( have 13 hives on her land) i also give 2 jars per harvest to the farm manager as he calls me when spraying, and is my point of call.

I think that in the majority of cases its the Farmer who is gaining.
Its your Hive
Your Bees
Your hardwork
and His crops that get pollinated.
However its important that we do our best to keep them sweet, so payment in Honey works very well.
I would say that much depends on your honey yield.
If you only collect 20lb then 1 jar is sufficient.
However if you manage 300lb then maybe a little more.

I think its the access I'm paying for rather than a little dissused corner and for that privalage a jar of honey per hive plus the customary Christmas bonus is about right. With most of my land owners the obligatory Christmas bottle is a reciprocal thing which is great as in effect it amounts to lots of tax free booze ( a gift of a bottle is a tax right off ! )

Being a generous old git, I give two jars per hive (but then, I only have the three hives). Farmer seems content, his wife is more than happy to be able to serve her B&B guests honey from on site hives. And I am happy too (well as happy as a DD can be!).

I have my hives in a small wood about 800m away from my cottage. The farmer was more than happy to have my hives and told me I was a "silly sod" (in a nice way) when I gave him a bottle of wine as a thankyou.

He didn't think farmers should charge when I asked him....

Cheers
Tim

Although the farmers where I have my out apairys do not expect any payment, I give two jars of honey to each. The idea of a bottle wine Tim, is good, next time I make some mead from surplus honey, I may well offer them some as well.

Back