Out apiaries

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just on the being-prepared-on-site theme, would it be wise to have/leave prepared frames (with foundation) in kit boxes at apiaries or would the temperature changes make it a bad idea?
I've experienced melted foundation with boxes parked in an open field during a heatwave, but in general, it's a good idea to have them ready on-site.

Just on the being-prepared-on-site theme, would it be wise to have/leave prepared frames (with foundation) in kit boxes at apiaries or would the temperature changes make it a bad idea?
I leave a Nuc in each apiary with drawn empty combs. If there are any stores in make sure you don’t leave the entrance accidentally open!
Drawn comb is like gold. Always good to have some in reserve. I now get a box drawn on one of the nectar flows - I designate a good comb building colony to do this. I will be starting the season this year with 3 brood boxes of good drawn comb.V useful to have.

I usually add one BB as a super to each colony to get comb drawn for future use.

Latest posts

Back