Our patron saint

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thorn

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
It varies.
I read in today's newspaper that yesterday was the day of the patron saint of beekeepers, St Haralampi. On a long ago 10th February he caught and imprisoned the personification of the plague. He's associated with us because of honey's healing properties.
So now you know what to call your firstborn.

I thought it was St Ambrose that was the Patron Saint of bees and beekeeping?

What about St. Ambrose isn't the patron saint of bees, beekeepers and candle makers. Iconography often depicts him with bees or a beehive – also symbols of wisdom. Maybe it just depends on which religion you choose.

Having googled it there seems to be several Saints accredited with the accolade.

St Bartholomew, St Gobnait and St Valentine all are too apparently, looks like they all want a piece of the action.

there is more than one saint associated with beekeepers:
St Ambrose - patron saint of bees, beekeepers and chandlers
St Dominic - an Irish monk who was a disciple of Saint David, bees were an important part of Davids teachings and monasteries, Dominic was St David's beekeeper, when Dominic returned to Ireland, the bees tried to follow him, he had to return to David and gift the bees to him before they would stay. Bees feature strongly in the heraldry and history of st David's cathedral, so you could say David was also a patron saint of the bees
St Gregory - for opening the flowers
St Benedict for summoning the bees to the nectar
St Bartholomew - because his feast day coincided with the traditional day of gathering the honey
Karlampii/Harlampi/Harlambost/Karlambost - A Bishop and healer, who used honey and beeswax in his cures not really the patron saint of beekeepers but is celebrated in Bulgaria by bringing honeycomb and honey into the church and by baking cakes with beehive symbols on.
Saint Gobnait/Abigail/Debra - a beekeeping nun who saved the convent from raiders by setting her bees loose on them

Having googled it there seems to be several Saints accredited with the accolade.

St Bartholomew, St Gobnait and St Valentine all are too apparently, looks like they all want a piece of the action.

Surely St Valentine is the Saint of the birds and the bees!!!!!

I'll be in Ireland in March for a speaking tour. The statue of Saint Gobnait is on the top of my list. She who rousted the evil-doers and horse thieves...was it the 6th century?

Also 5 bee bole locations in Co. Cork, and others in other counties. Want to get photos of as many as I can. Not sure how many are left or which ones are available for viewing. Anyone know about bee boles in Ireland...suggestions?

I'll be in Ireland in March for a speaking tour. The statue of Saint Gobnait is on the top of my list. She who rousted the evil-doers and horse thieves...was it the 6th century?

Also 5 bee bole locations in Co. Cork, and others in other counties. Want to get photos of as many as I can. Not sure how many are left or which ones are available for viewing. Anyone know about bee boles in Ireland...suggestions?

Yep, Gobnait did her thing for us Irish.

If you're visiting, you might enjoy this history of Irish beekeeping. There is a wall of bee boles near me in Cartanstown House, a semi-derelict house in Co. Louth.

There are some in the grounds of the castle, at Gosford forest park, in Co.Armagh. If you are you going to be in that area, message me and I will get you access.

Last edited:
There are some in the grounds of the castle, at Gosford forest park, in Co.Armagh. If you are you going to be in that area, message me and I will you get you access.

I believe Michael giving a talk in Cookstown on the 18th March so not overly far away.

As for the Gosford Park Bee Bole, I see they aren't listed on here; might be worth submitting? https://www.beeboles.org.uk/en/bee-bole#results

Michael, when you visit Ireland in March look where you are walking and be careful not to trip over the backstop!

Mike, have you used the IBRA register ?

https://www.beeboles.org.uk/en/bee-bole#results

Looks like an interesting site - a triple line of 18 bee boles, on the N52 between Borrisokane and Birr. On privately owned land it seems, but someone may know someone etc etc

http://irelandbyways.com/ireland-routes/byroute-10/byroute-10-2-co-tipperary-co-clare/

Looks like there are some in a public car park in Cashel, a place which is worth a trip to anyway. Extremely easy to get to from Cork, by motorway.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/92730607@N06/8435499787

Some in Oranmore, Co. Galway. Very easy to get to from Shannon by motorway, and close to Galway city which is a fantastic place, but the city traffic can be shocking.

https://fieldmonuments.galwaycommunityheritage.org/content/archaeology/bee-bole/bee-boles

Latest posts

Back