Our bees are coming this week :-)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kazmcc

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
None, although I have my eye on one ( Just don't tell Dusty ;) )
Hi everyone, thank you for making me feel so welcome :) I went to the meet today and collared Paul to find out when he will be bringing our bees as the school finishes this week and I would love the kids to see the bees in place before the holidays. He suggested Thursday, so I will have to see if I can arrange the children to come and watch ( from a safe distance of course ). I will upload some pics if anyone is interested, we have a brand new site for them with an open classroom nearby and raised beds for people who are waiting for an allotment plot to use in the mean time. I am very proud of this project, we have been planning for nearly a year. Our bees being installed will be the final stage :D

Wish me luck as this will be the beginning of my real bee keeping training as it will be the first time I have actually touched any equipment rather than just nosying over peoples shoulders :)

Karen

PS Just to reassure, we will be given support and guidance over the next year or two before we are left to care for the bees ourselves. They are not being installed then left for us to care for them without experience. Don't worry :p

Wednesday night will be fun,its hard to sleep when getting your first bees,like your first car.

Good luck with eveything.
p.s:yes we love pics on the forum,the more the better.

Good luck, Karen.

I'm sure it will be a great day, as long as the weather holds for you.

Do remember to enjoy it! Sometimes I'm concentrating so hard to get everything right that afterwards I feel like I've just done an exam :) Best to be well prepared, stay calm and decisive while the hive is open but DO make enough time to just sit and enjoy watching them at other times, as a reward for your hard work and care.

FG

Yeh. Hope it all goes really well. But the key is to relax and enjoy it. This is easier said than done when several tens of thousands of them all decide to act like juvenile delinquents.

But when all else fails, I try to remember that bees were being successful at what they do long before man got involved - and will likely be no less successful long after man has disappeared.

Thank you all so much, as it gets nearer to the day, the more excited I become....it's like Christmas lol

Paul, the guy who is helping us until we know what we are doing, has had them at his house for a while to make sure they are calm bees. He said they are great to work with so all is looking good.

I can't wait for some one on one training as when I go to the meet, the people who have their own bees are the ones who dive into a suit and get hands on experience, which is a bit unfair I think, maybe I am out of order. Maybe it's these people who need the experience more. I don't know. All I know is I can't wait to actually do some hands on work with the hive. I've loitered long enough, now I want to get my hands dirty :D

Thank you, seems I am learning lots of skills these days :) and look! I have a signature too :D

New skills,we will have you making Nuc box's hives over winter yet..

I am gutted. I've been told today I will have to wait until Monday until I meet the girls.....on the upside though, my children will be able to attend ( my eldest moved on from the primary last year and I would love to get him interested ). The problem is I am no good at waiting, I am a child a heart and it feels like someone moved christmas, lol.

Latest posts

Back