Ouch!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poly Hive

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
So we have a new supplier in town for screws timber and so on. I dropped in to see about some plywood the wife wants and they had none in stock and not buying any as far too pricy. Odd I thought.

I came home and phoned Jewson's for a half sheet of 12mm ply. Not got that but got 6ft x 2ft x 12mm. Ok says I, what sort of price. Including VAT mate £77 and change. I was so shocked I missed the change number.

I mean seriously??

PH

I bought 8 X 2.4m 3"X2" ( yes I'm mixing metric and Imperial but you get the drift!) To repair wind damage. £60.......rediculous!

I came home and phoned Jewson's for a half sheet of 12mm ply. Not got that but got 6ft x 2ft x 12mm. Ok says I, what sort of price. Including VAT mate £77 and change. I was so shocked I missed the change number.

Hellfire! That's almost £6.50 a square foot!

James

I have several projects I want to start in the Spring that require a reasonable amount of timber, including a new shed to store a fair bit of my beekeeping stuff in. I think I might be scavenging as much as I possibly can from pallets and whatever else I can find. I might even have to start gluing thinner lengths together to make up the sizes I need.

James

Only going one way at the moment. Back to skip-dipping ;)

I drove past the Swallowfield/KDC One building in Wellington on my way back from swimming today. They had a couple of very large stacks of pallets in the yard. I was tempted to stop and see if they had to be returned or were waste that they'd like (me) to dispose of.

James

It can be found cheaper, I just bought two sheets of 12mm, 610 X 1220, for £10.50 each including VAT, enough to knock up three 3 frame nucs.

Simon

It can be found cheaper, I just bought two sheets of 12mm, 610 X 1220, for £10.50 each including VAT, enough to knock up three 3 frame nucs.
Simon
:iagree: you are never going to get the cheapest deal from places like B&Q or Wickes

Just under £33 for 12mm x 8' x 4' ply here from a local family run builders merchants, description is Emerald Chinese HW faced with poplar core. Or < £36 for Eucalyptus core faced with Kosipo face veneer and aback veneer.

Don’t expect timber to get cheaper. Russian supplies getting locked out and large rises in fuel.

Don’t expect timber to get cheaper. Russian supplies getting locked out and large rises in fuel.

Quite. Some of my projects I'd put off because of the increasing prices over the last couple of years and now it's just got a whole load worse :( Still, at least some fruitcake isn't sending his tanks to my home, so what do I have to worry about?

James

I have Latvian, Czech and Albanian friends the fear of Russia is real.

Same thing happening over here. Just bought 2200 feet of 1x12 pine boards. Last year the price was $0.85 a foot. This year....$1.40. Also bought 3 sheets of 4'x8' plywood for mating nuc bottoms. Price used to be about $22 each. This year the three sheets cost me $199.50.

Same thing happening over here. Just bought 2200 feet of 1x12 pine boards. Last year the price was $0.85 a foot. This year....$1.40. Also bought 3 sheets of 4'x8' plywood for mating nuc bottoms. Price used to be about $22 each. This year the three sheets cost me $199.50.

Yep...you should see the new prices for bee boxes in Europe too.....up between 40 and 60% on a year ago. My customers are going to be hurting.

Honey price static...and possibly even under some downward pressure. Viability issues ahead for some I fear.

Meh.. When is daily inflation over 100% that is something to see.. This all is nothing.. Imagine banknote: 500 000 000 000..
Money will worth less and many say won't turn back much.. So if You expect it will cascade and to don't want to lose the money, invest in something to preserve value of your money ( gold, machines, God knows what - I am not somewhat good in economy). In our corrupt country additionally they add some to price to earn more and when they start they can't stop.. greed is human quality stronger than anything..

Meh.. When is daily inflation over 100% that is something to see.. This all is nothing.. Imagine banknote: 500 000 000 000..
Money will worth less and many say won't turn back much.. So if You expect it will cascade and to don't want to lose the money, invest in something to preserve value of your money ( gold, machines, God knows what - I am not somewhat good in economy). In our corrupt country additionally they add some to price to earn more and when they start they can't stop.. greed is human quality stronger than anything..
I just turn it all into more hives and equipment Goran. Had a fair bit of correspondence with a beekeeper in Zimbabwe....his stories are unreal. Barrowloads of note...each in millions or trillions, and if you did not get it turned into a commodity within an hour it was worthless in a day or two.

I just turn it all into more hives and equipment Goran. Had a fair bit of correspondence with a beekeeper in Zimbabwe....his stories are unreal. Barrowloads of note...each in millions or trillions, and if you did not get it turned into a commodity within an hour it was worthless in a day or two.
On a trip to Zim we worked out it was cheaper to wipe your arse with cash than buy toilet roll😂

I was living in such madness ( at same time being a refugee and student in university didn't help me..). I've been through a lot of things, the most important is ( mental) health and to remain a human. The rest is irrelevant.

I was living in such madness ( at same time being a refugee and student in university didn't help me..). I've been through a lot of things, the most important is ( mental) health and to remain a human. The rest is irrelevant.

I think this is arguably the most sensible post ever in this forum.

PH

Latest posts

Back