Other apiary in proximity

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patrickr

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi All

We've been looking for a new house in West Wales. One's come up in a good area for general forage for bees, I think, and a place for a new apiary. However, I've noticed that about 200 - 300 metres away is another apiary owned by a bee farmer. He's always had about 10-12 hives there apparently so not massive. I probably intend to have max 10 hives myself. What's peoples' view on an apiary that close? Cause for concern / elation?

Thanks

Hi All

We've been looking for a new house in West Wales. One's come up in a good area for general forage for bees, I think, and a place for a new apiary. However, I've noticed that about 200 - 300 metres away is another apiary owned by a bee farmer. He's always had about 10-12 hives there apparently so not massive. I probably intend to have max 10 hives myself. What's peoples' view on an apiary that close? Cause for concern / elation?

Thanks
West Wales is full of 10 or 12 hives tucked away belonging to one bee farm or another. If you want to avoid that you might think about looking elsewhere 😉

West Wales is full of 10 or 12 hives tucked away belonging to one bee farm or another. If you want to avoid that you might think about looking elsewhere 😉
Thanks. Not an option as my son is at school here. :) Guess I will take my chances where ever we end up in W. Wales

I wouldn't worry about it there's loads of forage around, although there's less flowering crops as the main mono culture is grass to feed to animals.

I wouldn't worry about it there's loads of forage around, although there's less flowering crops as the main mono culture is grass to feed to animals.
Good to know. It seems brambles is the order of the day. I've become obsessed with looking for them and get very annoyed when I see them being cleared!

1st colony newbee and not sure if there is another apiary within 3 miles of here.
Its a possible future worry or not? Anyone?

Not really. If you join beebase, which you should, there is an option for you to see how many there are in a 10k radius.
Just keep an eye in the colony varroa load

Not really. If you join beebase, which you should, there is an option for you to see how many there are in a 10k radius.
Sorry, should have said I'm an outlier- i.e. I live in West Cork Ireland.

Too much hives in one spot.
I have had same situation for 40 years, but I have moved hives to better pastures during yield time.

Hi,

I'm registered on Bee Base, but unless I'm being dense, I cannot see this option?

Can you point me towards where on the site it is?

Thanks
Daniel

Hi,

I'm registered on Bee Base, but unless I'm being dense, I cannot see this option?

Can you point me towards where on the site it is?

Thanks
Daniel
Log in to Beebase>>go to my records>>My apiaries>>the fourth column on the spreadsheet shows apiary density within 10KM

Hi All

Thanks
The reality is if you park your bees near a large apiary you increase the risk of disease transfer, if you can find a site for an apiary that is more than the 3Km radius then let me know, I need an apiary like that, don’t tell anyone else 😊

Seriously, good beekeeping is all that is required, look to start with two, if you get them through the winter then build them up and split them, that way you will be breading local acclimatised bees. Good luck 😊

Latest posts

Back