OSR Watch

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont know a great deal about OSR as my bees are never near it but will the crop recover and just flower late or is it destined to fail and at best be poor.

the farmer of this field says, all it needs is 10 days of sunshine and warmth...but he has ploughed in most of his OSR lower down the valley due to being waterloged

Just coming into flower at one of my sites. Other site which it higher up still few weeks away

(in South Devon)

In Hereford the field by my bees was 3-4 inches still (checked Tuesday evening).

In the field were its coming into flower it still looked small.

Perhaps the plants just cant wait any longer and are going to go for it what ever size they are?

First smatterings of flowers on 1ft tall plants sighted near Diss today.
Cazza

1 single flower in a complete field of OSR, next to the apiary.
All only 6 inches tall, if that.

North Essex

The field at the bottom of our garden looks a bit better than Adams on country file, mind the top half has been knocked up and re-drilled. I have seen some locally 6-8" high starting stem extension with flower buds, it all depends on time of drilling.

On the fields next to the Lynher OSR is being ploughed back in and fields are sporting miles of ugly poly sheeting!

I ran past some earlier and it is less than a foot tall. It has flower buds coming but is a long way off flowering. I must admit I was eyeing it up as greens for the chickens rather than pollen for the bees!!!

First OSR flowers just starting to open here. The cherry, plum, apple and pears flowers are still just budding. They might start by the end of the week.

South sloping fields in south Hertfordshire now have about 1 in 1000 plants with a single stalk with one of two yellow flowers, making up new foundation sN4 frames now

I passes 2 fields in Bedfordshire Yesterday which were in full bloom. I nearly crashed the car looking at them

I am surrounded by a farmers field here in Perthshire and the farmer has only just completed his fist ploughing . The wind is blowing for the last week, so the bees hav'nt much chance of getting out. If we could only get a calm warm couple of weeks, it would make all the difference.

Lots of the fields around me have been ploughed back in and are in the process of being reseeded (with wheat or barley).

The fields that have not been re-ploughed are 3-4 inches only and looking very poor. I cut my lawn for the first time yesterday, normally I make the first cut in early March.... everything seems so late this year.

Cheers, Andy

Lots of the fields around me have been ploughed back in and are in the process of being reseeded (with wheat or barley).

The fields that have not been re-ploughed are 3-4 inches only and looking very poor. I cut my lawn for the first time yesterday, normally I make the first cut in early March.... everything seems so late this year.

Cheers, Andy

Yes some OSR have been ploughed up on the clay slopes near the Royal Ventinery College north of Potter Bar,Herts but it is always very wet their due to swallow holes (chalksprings in the clay) and was surprised they planted OSR in that valley. i noticed they deep ploughed and bought up large lumps of pudding stone

pic don't show it well as it had clouded over but this morning it looked much yellower

Latest posts

Back