OSR still going?!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oakbear

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Local farmers here seem to have planted a late variety, which is still in full bloom! The cold snap after the early heat we had seems to have checked it, and then better weather in the last few weeks has started it up again.
Not sure if my hives are working it, but have to assume so i guess.

Would it still be in flow though?

Anyone else still got OSR going strong?

Last edited:
Local farmers here seem to have planted a late variety, which is still in full bloom! The cold snap after the early heat we had seems to have checked it, and then better weather in the last few weeks has started it up again.
Not sure if my hives are working it, but have to assume so i guess.

Would it still be in flow though?

Anyone else still got OSR going strong?

Bright yellow pollen and bees travelling in squadrons at about mach 2 is a fairly sure sign.

I love OSR, it makes proper, crunchy, stay-on-the-toast, Winnie-the-Pooh honey. I have never had anything but praise, along the lines of "best honey I've ever tasted" from all who have had it. I know that, to paraphrase Mandy Rice-Davies, "They would wouldn't they?", but even so I don't see why people turn up their nose at it. It's there - learn to love it...

Steve

there's a big field just to west of northbound M23 north of gatwick - flowering last week and in full bloom this week.

Bright yellow pollen and bees travelling in squadrons at about mach 2 is a fairly sure sign.

I love OSR, it makes proper, crunchy, stay-on-the-toast, Winnie-the-Pooh honey. I have never had anything but praise, along the lines of "best honey I've ever tasted" from all who have had it. I know that, to paraphrase Mandy Rice-Davies, "They would wouldn't they?", but even so I don't see why people turn up their nose at it. It's there - learn to love it...

Steve

Not round here it isn't...

That would be spring sown OSR - a later, less common variety ( because it is less convenient to the farmers). The winter sown stuff ended in early May round these parts (so the stuff at Gatwick would certainly be spring sown) - and I guess not too long after that in Notts.

Ben P

Last edited:
I hadn't realised there were 2 sowings, but that makes sense.

Our early OSR came early and finished about mid May, but the late stuff means there's only been a gap of a couple of weeks since April.

Looks like it's virtually all OSR for me this year!

You're very lucky, get your supers ready aaaaaannnd GO

All the best,
Sam

Is there a taste difference between the two different types?

Taste difference? Probably not but bear in mind Spring sown has in the past not produced on the scale of Autumn sown.

PH

Tis spring rape farmer planted 300 acres here grows like hell another couple of weeks and will be done. Has helped me no end

Back