Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

Somerford 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Wiltshire, Somerset, S Glos & S Oxfordshire
Hive Type
national
Hi all

I had a good talk to a farmer (contract farmer) who works over 1000 acres on land I am about to put some hives on about OSR and pollen beetle etc.

He brought me up to speed on the latest RE sprays in OSR & Wheat and it was great to hear he was really aware of the issues - promising to call me in advance and switch the boom off if near the hives in any respect.

The pesticide used for the pollen/flea beetle is only used once when in full flower and then as a last resort and only if populations have reached a critical level. because it is, unfortunately a broad spectrum pesticide (IE Kills all insects DEAD) it is sprayed as a last resort and only 1st thing or last thing at night.

In the past 3 years he hasn't had to use it either.

Now onto to wheat - there is a similar spray used on wheat to stop a pollen beetle that is sometimes used (although bees don't obviously forage wheat, only surrounding margins) but he said he had planted a different variety close to existing bees on the other side of the farm that didn't need this spray which was really encouraging !

Lastly, next year he is planting a huge amount (for him) of clover leys and nectar secreting plants to accomodate the new stewardship scheme the farm is entering as the old one runs out this year - (HLA/HSS scheme ?? I know not which) which should be very useful as all surrounding farmers are also doing the same.

If anyone has anymore info on the scheme, please let us know, but hope the above is helpful to one and all.

regards

S

(PS - he said he is terrified of bees, so will be keeping well clear !!!)

Hivemaker. 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Did he mention if the pesticide would be tank mixed with anything else?
because if it is you would need to move your hives,or keep them shut in for a few days,and of course thats only if they do all the spraying in one day,if over a period of several days then........

Last edited:

VEG 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
15+-some
We have had a spray notice through our association it is about 10 miles away from me but still nice to be told.

crazy_bull 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Google HLS (Higher Level Scheme) it is another step up from the ELS (Entry Level Scheme) that is basically a payment scheme to encourage farmers and landowners to do environmentally benficial actions.

C B

Latest posts